Chore Incentives for Kids and Adults

contest winner icon

Here is a tip to help organize time, reward labor, and ensure you get to work on that project that's been sitting in the corner.

Take a sheet of paper. With a pencil, write on one side all the chores that the person doesn't like to do/needs to do. On the other side, write a corresponding reward (15 minutes of beading, 5 minutes dance, 1 hour sewing, etc). When a chore is completed, write down the rewards earned. I write mine on the dry erase board. To personalize, I reward myself with a bigger reward for tasks I really dislike, and make extra incentives for stuff I'm working on.

For example: I don't like doing the kitchen, so completing that task will earn me an hour to sew. I'm working on getting outside more, so I came up with a separate reward for going outside, walking a mile, and running errands. I also reward myself for each chore, so that I'm not stressed out to clean the whole house in a day.

This helps in being a good daily incentive (take it from a homemaker) and not rewarding yourself/child's labor with "more labor" (a stressful habit). It's a nice stress reliever to "earn" time to get to those things you always like to do, even if they could technically be called "labor" as well (enjoyment/fun makes a big difference!)

Enjoy your day!

By Davidicdancer from Spokane, WA

This I am going to try. I definitely have procrastinitus.

I have started something similar. I have a dry-erase goal chart for the kids chores, but I still got a lot of complaining, especially about pick-up time. To motivate them to get their chores done, I set up a pair of incentives. If they do all their chores for the week, they can choose a special activity on Saturday. This is something fairly simple like eating out or going to a movie.

Plus, if they do their pick-up time instead of playing (this was the big problem), they can pick something from the "treasure box". These are little things, $1 or less, like small notebooks, a box of crayons (back-to-school special), a sheet of stickers, a temporary tattoo.

So far it's worked pretty well. Instead of hearing complaining about chores, I have heard how much they can't wait until reward night!

Camilla

An adult and a child using dusting clothes.
Getting Kids to Help With Chores
Organizing MiscellaneousJuly 30, 2009
Child in Indian Costume
Making a Chief (Indian) Costume
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dragon Costume
How Can Kids and Young Adults Make Money?
Making a Chore Chart for Children
Making a Chore Chart for Children
🎉
🎄