Peg's Spicy Meat Pies

This is adapted from my great-grandmothers recipe. She never wrote anything down, so I recreated from memory. They are my family's favorite. They can be made ahead and frozen. Served with mashed potatoes or rice and a salad.

• 1 pkg. roll-out pie crust
  • 1 lb. hamburger
  • 1/2 lb. ground sausage
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium purple onion, chopped (white is ok)
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 (4 oz.) can mushrooms, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. cajun seasoning,
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
  • dash salt
  • pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 eggs, separated. Add 1 Tbsp. water to yolks, stir to mix

Directions:

In large skillet, boil hamburger and sausage in about 2 cups water on medium high. When it starts to boil, turn heat down to medium and cook for about 30 minutes.

Chop celery, green pepper, onion, and mushroom and place in microwave safe dish. Cook on high about 10 minutes.

Roll out pie crust. Use any round dish or container to make desired size. I used a turnover tool, it is 5 inches in diameter. I used to make my crust but after fracturing my wrist a few years ago had to go the easy route, and it saves time.

When meat has just about boiled away all the water, add the vegetables, stir in olive oil, then slowly add the flour a little at a time. turn off the heat. If it seems too thick add just a little bit of water. Not much though. Let cool, have a glass of tea or a beer and relax a bit.

You will want to spray a cookie sheet with pam or grease lightly. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Take your pie crust rounds in your hand and spoon just enough to fill half not to close to the edge. Fold over and pinch with fingers. Repeat until all of dough is used. Brush with beaten egg yolks, this gives it a beautiful golden sheen when baked. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Allow to cool slightly, insides are hot. We like to dip them in au jus or mushroom gravy with mashed potatoes.

By Peggy from Cortland

Meat Pie Recipes
Meat Pie Recipes
Photos FoodApril 6, 2011
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
A glass bowl of ground sausage.
Sausage Pie Recipes
Making Peg (Clothes Pin) Puppets
Making Peg (Clothes Pin) Puppets
Freezing Pumplin Pies
Freezing Pumpkin Pies
🎄