Use Hand Sanitizer to Clean Glasses

One of the best products I've found to completely clean the lenses on eyeglasses is hand sanitizer. I've tried many glass cleaning products and have always dealt with residue from hair spray or other smears. I rub a small amount of hand sanitizer on both sides of the lens and wipe thoroughly with a paper towel. The glass is perfectly clean.

By Glenna from Gulfport, FL

Editor's Note: It is always best to ask your ophthalmologist what the best cleaning agent to use on your glasses is. Many people don't suggest the use of paper towels.

I have an anti-glare coating on my glasses. Will it be damaged if I try this?

I was told by my opthamologist never to use paper towels on my glasses because paper towel contains wood particles and the particles could scrath the lens.

Never use paper towels or rough cloth on glasses. Before using any chemical on the lens consult the ophthalmologist. Oil and makeup collect between the frame and the lens. Sometimes when we clean that just smears. You may successfully wash your glasses in mild dish washing soap like Joy or Palmolive which will remove the residue. Then after rinsing dry with a very soft cloth.

Never, never use paper towels, or even kleenex, to clean eye glasses. Use only the

special glass cleaning cloths for eyeglasses, or 100% cotton cloth. There are many different kinds of glasses and coatings on them. NO optician would tell you to use hand sanitizer and paper towels. I wonder how many people are going to ruin their eyeglasses following this post. It should have been checked out before being posted.

I have plain lenses with no coatings on them. I have been cleaning the lenses with pretty much anything that is convenient for over 2 years now. There are no scratches. Maybe paper towels can scratch the coatings on glasses, but I don't see how they could scratch plain glass. As for cleaning them, once a week I soak them in warm, soapy water and use a q-tip to clean all around the frames. This tip will help me keep them clean day-o-day. Maybe be too frugal to pay for coatings is paying off for me. I sure would hate to have lenses so fragile a paper towel can scratch them. I, for one, thank you for the tip.

Hand Sanitizer
Cleaning Uses for Hand Sanitizer
Home and Garden Cleaning GlassSeptember 8, 2010
Remembering Your Glasses
Remembering Your Glasses
Two Wine Glasses
Crafts Using Wine Glasses
Uses for Old Reading Glasses
Uses for Old Reading Glasses
Red Wine in Crystal Glass on Black
Cleaning Crystal
🎄