Here's a really quick and easy pillow that I did with the girls using their choice of a sewing machine or hand stitching with a needle and thread using all straight stitching. Eight year olds were able to do this with remarkable ease and very good results.
Approximate Time: 1 - 1 1/2 Hours
- sewing machine or sewing needle
- about 1/2 yard of fabric
- pillow insert
- Stitch Witchery or other fusible bond
- straight pins
- Cut your fabric 2 1/2 inches wider than your pillow insert and twice as long plus 6 inches. A 12 inch pillow will require a piece of fabric 14 1/2x30 inches.
- On both of the short ends, fold over a 1/2 inch hem.
- Cut a piece of Stitch Witchery the width of the fabric and lay inside the pressed hem. Fold fabric over so the Stitch Witchery is inside and press in place.
- With the right side of your fabric up, center your pillow form. Fold fabric over the pillow, overlapping in the center. This will form the pocket to insert your pillow form and make the cover removable so it can be washed.
- Pin across the pocket opening making sure your fabric is slightly snug, but not tight around the pillow form. Remove the pillow form and pin the open side edges in place.
- With right sides together sew or hand stitch both open sides closed. Turn pillow cover right side out through the pocket opening and use a straight pin to pick the corners out and square them up.
- Slip the pillow form in through the pocket opening and you are done!
For more advanced seamstresses, you may want to add some piping or top stitching around the edges or quilt your pillow cover to add a more finished look.
By Sew Crafty from Hesperia
May 28, 20100 found this helpful
Looks cute and easy. Thanks for sharing!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 17, 2016 at 8:08:46 PM on 10.0.2.226 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us