Paint Color Advice for Kitchen and Adjoining Living Room

We are renovating our kitchen. It is a smaller 10 x 10 kitchen. We are adding an island as well. The cabinets we picked out are white, our countertops are going to be a grayish black, and our floors are semi-dark gray wood laminate.

Our kitchen does flow right into our living room (we are in a an apartment so it is kinda small). We are facing north, in a corner, so we get no natural light into the kitchen. Right now the walls are just plain white as they have not been painted that I know of.

In our living room and kitchen we do have more black/brown wood features like a coffee table and all that. What we don't know is what color to paint the kitchen that will work also as the living room color. We are able to split the colors if need be, but we are not sure if we shouldn't just go really light like an eggshell. I would like a grayish blue (not too dark), but I'm afraid that will darken the room too much. Any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks

By Stephanie from Alberta, Canada

If you want to lighten up the room and make it sunny...a light yellow in warm (buttercream) or cool (lemony) would be beautiful. Our son just did his room in dark charcoal woodwork, sheer grey ceiling, and light blue-green (sea like effect) walls. It looks fabulous, and I was cringing before I saw the effect. ;)

I don't know if you are where winter has an effect, but you might want to take into account the effect of cool colors in a north facing room.

With the white cabinets, you could go with a punch of color or a bit darker, too.

Nowadays, you can split colors beautifully between rooms as long as they look harmonious.

One suggestion that has helped us paint: get several paint chip samples so you can place them on different walls and leave them up for a while so you can see them in different lights (We even waited over seasons) especially by the adjoining room and where you can see the paint. It saves a lot of headache of repainting a mistake.

Then choose what makes you feel happy.

Enjoy!

I agree with italianswede a buttercream would be nice. On tv they tell you to look in your closet these are the color u like. They also say if you have two colors you should bring them into each room. I painted my kitchen an olive green, it brings the outdoors in. Than any accents will look good. As there is every color outdoors. When you paint a color you will see your room go from plain to a picture in a magazine.

Paint color swatches.
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen and an Adjoining Room
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceApril 6, 2011
Living Room Colors
Living Room Color Scheme Advice
dining room
Dining Room Paint Color Advice
Nicely decorated living room.
Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
🎄