Advice For Reviving A Clematis

Should I pardon this clematis? I have a clematis which has been on this trellis since we moved into our home over ten years ago. Every spring I am surprised that it has even survived because it never looks all that healthy to me. You can see that the top of the plant looks healthy and has many buds on which will soon bloom, but the middle areas are woody and unhealthy looking.

There is, however, new growth at the base which you can't really see in this picture, and this new growth was a surprise to me. If it weren't for noticing that new growth this morning, my intention was to rip the plant out so that I could plant some climbing vegetables up that trellis. I've never tended to this clematis before and feel that if I am going to stay the execution of the clematis, I should start taking care of it properly.

I need some advice on whether or not this plant can be revived and how I should go about doing it. Should I be trimming it back each year down to the ground? Could someone let me know what it is that I should be doing for this poor plant that I'm not doing? I would so appreciate that. Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Tina from Ashland, OR

I cut mine back to the ground every year in the fall. I live in WV in zone 5. It comes back bushy and healthly every year. What you might try this year is to feed it green tea. The strength doesnt really matter I have found as long as it is is plain green tea. I mix twenty five tea bags which I buy at Dollar General to two gallons of water. To start off I put the tea bags in a large pot and put a small amount of water in so it will boil faster. After it boils I let it cool then squeeze out the tea bags pour the mixture in my watering can and fill it the rest of the way up with water. Plants just love this stuff. Hope this helps. ~Janette~

Go to Type clematis in the search. Then you will get pictures of different clematis and when they need to be pruned. You will also get tips on care of your clematis. You will love this website.

Hi there. I believe the woodiness remains (and do not cut it back)and new growth on old vives seems to be the rule. I also recall the old advice, "Feet in the shade and heads in the sun," which maens put rocks around the base of the clematis to keep the roots cool. Mulch heavily, except not for 8" from base of clematis or it will get stem rot. Click here for more advice:

Best of luck. I love clematis! I also add morning glory and moonflower seeds (possibly black eyed susan vine) to combine with them, as the clematis fases and the others start to add their blooms as the clematis fade out.

So you know the name of your clematis? If you do, then you will know what pruning group it is in. There are 3 pruning groups. I think the poster who suggested you go to Park seed probably tells you which groups yours is in.

I don't know what the name of my clematis is. It existed here before we purchased the home. I looked at the website, but I can't figure out which of those images mine looks most like, especially since mine is not currently in bloom. There are many blooms-to-be on the vines at the top, so I am hopeful that once they do bloom, I might be more able to compare them to the images at If I can't, at least I can take a picture of the blooms and have someone help me try to identify it -- maybe I'll even post it here and ask for help with that if I can't figure it out on my own.

I have a clematis that is planted in mostly shade. Each fall, I cut it all back except 6-8 inches. Each spring it starts all over again and within this last month, it's already 4 feet high. Good luck and hope this helps.

Donita in Colorado

They need to be pruned in winter or early spring. Once it stops blooming you can cut it about half way back, which will produce more blooms the next year.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMay 8, 2008
Reviving Dried Pencil Erasers
Purple Clematis
Growing Clematis
Large Purple Clematis Flower
Pruning a Clematis
Clematis Not Blooming