Repairing a Chipped Ceramic Tile

How do you repair ceramic tile without having to remove the whole tile? I would like to have the repaired spot look the same color.

By M. Morris

Answers

I have often done this, but I do a lot of crafts and have all the supplies on hand. It could be more difficult if you had to buy all the supplies (and buy a matching colour without having a sample to take with you). I fill the crack or chip with air-hardening clay (slightly over-filling as it does shrink a bit as it dries. When it is dry, I sand the filling level with the surface of the tile, then mix a colour to match with my acrylic artists paints. After painting (usually 2 coats, depending on the coverage), I apply a matching varnish (gloss or low sheen according to the finish on the tile).

In place of air-drying clay, you could also use another filler, whatever you have on hand.

Ceramic Floor Tile
Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile
Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousJune 7, 2011
Installing Vinyl Tile Over Old Linoleum Tile
Porcelain Clawfoot Tub
Repairing a Chipped Porcelain Tub
Painting Ceramic Tile
Painting Ceramic Tile
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
🎄