Cleaning Gardening Pots Before Replanting

contest winner icon

My Mom gave me this tip. Always scrub out last year's pots with a slight bleach solution to kill any fungus, blight, or other diseases that may have accumulated in your pots from last year's use.

After soaking in a slight bleach mixture, make sure you wash extremely well in HOT water to get rid of the bleach. Then when you plant your new plants they are at less of a risk of picking up disease. This is especially important in container gardening.

This is good to know. But I was wondering if you can still use the same soil from last years container gardening pots? I have about 6 pots I used last year that still sit on my deck that I would like to reuse this year.

Lisa. I put together a LOT of garden pots each year. And even though the garden center will tell you not to reuse the soil, I could never afford to buy that much each year. So what I do is tap out the soil from each pot into a wheelbarrow or some other large container. From there I break all the bits up, removing any of last years roots & leaves, etc. Then to this I usually add some fresh peat moss and compost if I have it available. So, my mixture is probably 75 % old & 25 % new. Then just plant as usual. I have never scrubbed or bleached my pots (There is just too many LOL) thought I have heard this before.

Enjoy your garden pots.

Trish in CT

5/16/08

2:34pm