Cleaning Gardening Pots Before Replanting

contest winner icon

My Mom gave me this tip. Always scrub out last year's pots with a slight bleach solution to kill any fungus, blight, or other diseases that may have accumulated in your pots from last year's use.

After soaking in a slight bleach mixture, make sure you wash extremely well in HOT water to get rid of the bleach. Then when you plant your new plants they are at less of a risk of picking up disease. This is especially important in container gardening.

This is good to know. But I was wondering if you can still use the same soil from last years container gardening pots? I have about 6 pots I used last year that still sit on my deck that I would like to reuse this year.

Lisa. I put together a LOT of garden pots each year. And even though the garden center will tell you not to reuse the soil, I could never afford to buy that much each year. So what I do is tap out the soil from each pot into a wheelbarrow or some other large container. From there I break all the bits up, removing any of last years roots & leaves, etc. Then to this I usually add some fresh peat moss and compost if I have it available. So, my mixture is probably 75 % old & 25 % new. Then just plant as usual. I have never scrubbed or bleached my pots (There is just too many LOL) thought I have heard this before.

Enjoy your garden pots.

Trish in CT

5/16/08

2:34pm

Foot and Shovel Digging to Plant in Garden
Tips for Potting Plants
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerMay 12, 2008
Replanting an Uprooted Tree
Replanting an Uprooted Tree
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Terra Cotta Pots
Saving Money on Terra Cotta Pots
Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces
🎄