Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dirt in Toilet Bowl

I have been noticing that I have been getting what looks like dirt in the bottom of my toilet bowl after I flush it. I can't figure out where the dirt would be coming from. Any ideas what could be causing it?

By debbc99 from Springfield, IL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Debbie Culler [1]08/16/2009

I'm on a city sewer, so a well isn't the problem, but I'll check for something rotting. Thanks

By Paula Jo C. [6]08/13/2009

Are you on a well for your water? It sounds like your well pump is too low in the well and is pumping in/up dirt. You need to have that checked pronto! Good luck!

By Edith [9]08/13/2009

Could it be hard water stains? One of my toilets does this. I use one of the cleaner tablets that you put in the tank. They get changed every 1-3 months or so. Good luck.

By Beth [25]08/13/2009

Could it be something rusting in the tank?

By Lee Taylor [10]08/13/2009

Try scrubbing under the inside rim of the toilet bowl. Sometimes algae gets up in there and looks like dirt when it falls into the bowl after flushing. I clean homes for a living and see this from time to time.

By Sandi [390]08/12/2009

If it is bigger than dirt but still dark, it might be a ring or other rubber breaking down. You can also have a branch in the line somewhere and that is never good. Lift the tank lid and make sure nothing in there is rotting or getting through.

By OliveOyl08/11/2009

Dirt might be coming from your water supply or a cleanser that's in the toilet tank. Are you on well water or city water? Look in the toilet tank. Never use those blue tablets in there, they leave a residue behind.