Keeping the House Cooler With Solar Window Film

My house is too warm in the summer. I was thinking of solar film for the windows, to keep the house cooler. (I think that's what it's suppose to do.) I know you can do it yourself, but is this a temporary fix or a permanent fix? Since I'm renting, can I remove it if I move? I would not want to cause damage to the window. I'm looking for a temporary solution. I'd appreciate people's input, since I have no clue.

By Nicole from Cornwall, Ontario Canada

These links are from the same website called and if you feel up to the task, easy to follow directions are here:

How to APPLY window film

How to REMOVE window film

I would speak to my landlord before installing the film. Depending on how old the windows are, applying a film could cause issues with the warranty.

Another alternative is a vinyl, cut-to-width, roller shade. Be sure it says "light blocking" on the package. They're pretty easy to install and do a great job of blocking out unwanted light. My bedroom windows face west and it was always hot in there before I installed the vinyl shades.

Something else you might take a look at is whether you have any air leaks, especially around windows and doors.

I have a large kitchen window in my breakfast area that had the morning sun until almost noon and at times it would get uncomfortably warm in that particular area. My son made full window screens from a clothlike material that keeps the heat out but lets the light in. I believe the material is called solar block. It can be purchased at Home Depot and you actually make a screen over the window and from the outside it looks like a black covering that you cannot see in. I noticed the difference that minute they were in place, it was so much cooler in that area, yet bright and cheerful. It affixes to the outside of the window channel and there is no damage to the windows.

It's pretty easy to remove, just time consuming and a pain. basically you spray it down with a super soapy solution and then cover that with a plastic tarp or trashbag, to keep it wet. Let the sun shine on it for a few hours and then start scrapping it off. The important thing is to apply it correctly and prep the windows well.

I went to Dollar general and bought car windshield solar blocker thingies that you open up and prop up on the dash in the sun to reduce heat in the car. I cut them to size and duct-taped them to the inside of our bedroom windows. Lowers the temperature about 25 degrees. I also put a piece of white fabric between the aluminum foil looking solar blocker and the window so it wouldn't look tacky. Cost? Six dollars!

Home and Garden Home Improvement CoolingMarch 21, 2011
White Film on Dishes
Removing White Film From Dishes
Inside a solar porch.
Solar Heating Porch
Swamp Cooler
Swamp Cooler Maintenance Tips
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film