Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Can Vaccinated Dogs Get Parvo?

I was dog sitting three miniature Doberman Pinschers for two weeks, and the 5 month old puppy got parvo and died after I took them home. The mother and daddy dogs are older dogs, and the couple said they were up to date on their shots, but that they were also sick.

These dogs were in my fenced in back yard during the day and in a pen at night. I have a Jack Russell terrier who is 9 years old and a Chihuahua who is 10 months, and they are both up to date on their shots. Neither of my dogs are sick and haven't been out of the yard. The couple are blaming me for their puppy dying and their dogs being sick and have refused to pay me. How in the world did their dogs get parvo?

By JTYREE from Mulga, AL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By JTYREE [1]07/01/2011

ThankYou all very much for all of your feedback. I have never kept anyone else's dogs before this but I agree it is a lesson learned for me. I had worked for these people before doing sitter work for the husband as he is disabled. I can understand them being hurt over losing their puppy, but I was very surprised in their blaming me for their puppy dying. They breed the adults and the puppy was one they could not sell, but I feel that they should have had the pup utd on shots which they did not. My dogs are utd on theirs and so far since they have been exposed, they are not sick and I have taken all the precautions, such as cleaning with clorox and spraying the yard just to make sure. I have not contacted the couple anymore so I dont know if their other dogs got parvo or not. I feel its best to leave it alone and lick my wounds so to speak. Thanks for all of your answers!

By NEWFIEGIRL [8]06/30/2011

The feedback from Gypsy Swan just about said it all. But to go one step further my instinct tells me you may have accepted other Dogs to care for accepting financial payment and should always insist on owners producing current vaccination certificate as is mandatory in all registered licensed Boarding Kennels. contact the owners Veterinarian and ask for confirmation regarding the animals last vaccination they should have no hesitation in divulging this information under these circumstances. Do not make payment to the owners even if they threaten to take legal action against you because they have to produce evidence the animals vaccination was current when in your care. Good luck (a lesson learned here).

By vicki hood [4]06/30/2011

Dogs often get Parvo from the vaccine. Best prevention of any disease is building good immune system. Diet is very important. Stay out of the grocery store aisles and especially away from any Purina. Parvo cure help lots of times is an enema (where germs are concentrated) with 10 ppm colloidal silver, another enema half hour later. CS in very small amounts (teaspoons full) by mouth very often throughout first days especially. Hydration is imperative as well. Dogs often die of dehydration from the loss of fluids. Stay up all night with liquids to hydrate whatever way you can. C S is from health food/ vitamin store or friend who might have a generator. CS is for viral, bacterial and fungal uses. Well worth looking into.

By Gypsy Swan 06/30/2011

It isn't clear if these people are personal friends of yours or not. But, since you were taking money for the job, always be sure you have a copy of the animals shot records before agreeing to take them into your home...especially since you have animals of your own. And, again, can you be sure one of these animals you cared for is really dead or that the others are really sick? Consider speaking with the vet who cared for these dogs, and/or getting some kind of written proof from the people who owns them.

Just a thought.
Gypsy

By Teresa A [3]06/29/2011

I lost an 8 year old dog to parvo shortly after she had received her booster shots which was a 'cocktail' of immunizations including Live Modified Parvo virus. After that I began my own unofficial survey to find out more about Parvo. Every time I heard someone lost their dog to Parvo I asked them when the pet had had it's vaccinations. 100% of them had their shot within 30 days of the dog becoming ill with Parvo. Including a vet who lost most of a valuable litter of pups after she had given the vaccines herself. One pharmaceutical company used to make a Killed Virus Parvo vaccine but vets preferred the "cocktails" of many vaccines in one shot so they stopped making the killed virus vaccine. Too bad because in my unprofessional personal opinion Live Modified Parvovirus vaccines cause a lot of Parvo virus in otherwise healthy dogs. Not all shots will cause the actual disease but it does happen far more than it should!

Ask the owner of the dog you watched when it had it's shots and if Live Modified Parvovirus was included. I already know your answer.
Best of Luck,
Teresa A.