Storing Fabric

I am looking for ideas to store large, heavy quantities of fabric. I read some posts and saw some really cool ideas, yet my problem is a lot larger. I have approximately 35 bins of wools and denim given to me and I would love to find a better way of storing them. The woolen are about 5 yards each.

Your help would be great!

It sounds like you have alot of fabric there. I don't have anything close to that, but i do store all my fabric in trunk, i got it at a clearance store. I know they sell them at walmart. If thats not big enough you may want to try a plastic storage cabinet meant for outside. many of them can be disguised as furniture. good luck

Is this fabric on bolts? If so, why not get a clean plastic garbage can and stand them up inside it. Maybe one with a lid would work to keep them clean.

Another thought.....if your fabric is just flat pieces perhaps you could put onto bolts. Wal-Marts craft dept usually has some empty bolts in the trash can or ask if they have any....they might even save for you as they use up fabric. They are just cardboard type things but your fabric could be wrapped around them and then those could be stacked on shelves or in a closet ....or stood up inside some sort of a barrel type container.

Hope that helps,

Debbie52

I use apple boxes and clear plastic tubs with lids. I am so jealous of your fabric! What a wonderful windfall!

Place the fabric in hefty bags, use a vacuum to remove ALL of the air - these re home-made shrinking bags. You can find exact instructions on how to do this with a Thriftyfun search.

You lucky duck! I'd go through them all to make sure they're clean and in good condition (no offense to the donor), then make a master list of everything, and on each bin put a list of its contents with a small scrap of each fabric, all in a zip-lock envelope. I have bins of fabric too (about a dozen), and I wish I'd done this right when I bought each piece. I also wish I'd done this as I bought yarn.

A large stack of fabric.
Storing Fabric
Organizing CraftsFebruary 15, 2007
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Grapfruit wedge with grapefruits in the background.
Storing Grapefruit
Whole limes and limes cut in half.
Storing Limes
🎉
🎄