Keep Extra School Supplies on Hand

I am the grandmother of 6 of which 3 stay with us most of the time and are school age. Last year, a much learned lesson was learned by Grandmother.

We live about 15 miles from town and every day it seemed that someone had left a pencil, crayons, coloring pencils, ruler, etc., at school, not to mention a text book that was needed for homework. This lead to a lot of crying on their part as well as mine sometimes.

I got a basket and filled it with markers, pencils, pencil sharpeners, crayons, rulers, anything I could find that might be needed and placed it under the computer desk where everyone knew to find it. I also contacted the school system and got any old (soon to be retired) text books for their grade levels.

Homework became a lot easier for us all and no more trips to the store to get supplies or phone calls to classmates. Just make sure to get two of each school supply when you have to purchase new, it will help keep your supply basket full! And don't forget that during the summer those old text books can be used to help them retain their knowledge or to get a jump start on next year!

By justmyimagination2002

That's a real good idea. I buy up school supplies when I see on sale and keep in a bin in our coat closet. I rarely have to go out for anything else during the school year plus have quite a bit already on hand for a new school year. My kids always seem to use roughly the same supplies each year.

Sometimes I find school supplies and/or office supplies at garage sales so I pick up more at good prices.

Young Woman Checking Her List at the Supermarket
Avoiding Extra Trips
Organizing Saving TimeSeptember 1, 2004
Photo of a back pack, colored pencils, paper and other school supplies.
Saving Money on School Supplies
Craft Supplies
Selling Excess Craft Supplies
School Supplies
Organizing School Supplies
A backpack full of school supplies.
Finding Help Getting School Clothing and Supplies