Chopping Onions the Easy Way

Laziness is the mother of invention. I needed some coarsely chopped onions for chili I was making. Rather than drag out a knife and cutting board, etc, I peeled the onion, put it on a paper towel and pressed my apple slicer down and cut it into wedges, which I dumped into the chili. As it cooked, the wedges separated into pieces, coarsely chopped. No mess and about 15 seconds of work!

That's a great idea! I never thought of doing that!! It would also be great to do when you need some chunks of onion for a roast.

What a great idea! Thanks!!

great idea i will try that. i hope it will keep me away from watery eyes! what else could you use besides a apple slicer?

I think that the best way to avoid having ones eyes water when chopping onions is to avoid breathing through ones mouth. ""

Try using a french fry cutter if you have one. It works well for coarse chpped onions.

Chop onions under running cold water to block the sulfuric acids from getting to you eyeballs. Works for me.

I was watching a cooking program and the "chef" commented about onions and tears. What he related was "cut the bottom off the onion first, which lets the gases escape, and you will find no more tears". I've been doing that since seeing this program and haven't had any problems with "crying" while chopping onions. Weird but it WORKS.

I'm sure most people already know this, but in case some don't... After handling onions, hold a metal spoon in your hands and run cold water over them while rubbing the spoon. The smell will totally go away. Don't know how this works, but it does!

Now why didn't I think of that? Great tip. Thanks.

Chopping the end off an onion
Chopping Onions
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsSeptember 5, 2006
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions
🎉
🎄