AdvicePregnancy

Tips for Pregnancy - Working Around Feeling Ill

When I was pregnant with my third child, I had a medical condition that made me extremely physically ill. The kicker? I had 3 year old twins with special needs that I still had to care for.

During times that I felt well enough to do things, I would get as much done as I physically could. Boiling up some chicken for use in a meal for the next day, browning some ground beef or turkey and then freezing it for the same purpose. Making up some spaghetti sauce. Just anything I could do have less work when I knew I wasn't going to feel well.

Another thing I did when feeling well enough to get some stuff done was to hang the twins' clothes grouped in outfits, with their pants and a matching shirt on one hanger. This way, in the mornings, getting them ready for the school bus to arrive to take them to their early childhood class, I could be toasting waffles and they were able to pick out the outfit they wanted to wear for the day. This eliminated arguments that "I don't want to wear that" or "That shirt is itchy."

As well as promoting independence in a couple of children who have a lot of grown ups helping them and telling them what needs to be done (due to their special needs, they are always being told, "It's time for therapy", etc.) They love picking out their own clothes, even to this day. It may not seem like a big thing, but one less thing to do when you are feeling THAT sick is a big deal.

By Crunchy Mama (Jen) from Maple Park, IL

hi there. not to be nosy but i am finishing up a year of being a one on one personal assistant with a boy who is autistic and mentally disabled. what is up with your boys if you dont mind sharing?? i am trying to learn as much as i can about how i can help as a teacher helper. i am hoping to pass a test tomorrow actually that will enable me to be an instructional assistant in the classroom.

thank you sandysheep 1 @yahoo.com