Keeping Bugs Away When Sitting Outdoors

What will keep gnats away from my kids and I this baseball season? The gnats seem to be immune to everything I use.

By Taychahan from Port Wentworth, GA

My grandfather used to say his pipe smoke kept them away so wondering if lighting a punk stick would do the trick. I would also try bug spray and see if that keeps them from swarming around you. They are the worst!

What I use at home is table salt pour a thin line outside each doorway; they will not cross into house. If your outside you can but 7dust 5% and rub on your skin or the child's it's harmless been having it used on me all my life & I'm 56 I still use it when I go outside in the evenings to keep away mosquitoes. It also works on pets for fleas.

If a gnat is a mosquito, I use Skin So Soft. A product of Avon. This smooths the skin and for some reason, the bugs don't like it. I am not sure if Avon is in the states it is in Canada.

Gnats can be impervious to most remedies. But you can try bathing and shampooing your hair with peppermint castile soap and chewing peppermint gum. That's what I do when I go camping and the bugs leave me alone.

Try vanilla extract. A little elderly man told me this and I was skeptical. Everyone I tell is skeptical but I'm the only one at the outdoor party without gnats. I put some on a cotton ball and rub it on my cheeks and neck. Works for thirty minutes or so. Test a patch of your skin for sensitivity first.

Does help somewhat but not entirely. When the gnats are really bad, I'm afraid they are the winners at the ballgame one is trying to sit thru.