Warning About Morning Glories

Morning Glories are gorgeous. But boy, are they pesky and weedy! 3 years ago, I planted two varieties along a fence and to cover a trellis. They were simply stunning that year. They grew fast and covered the fence and trellis and caused much comment. But in the final analysis, it wasn't worth it and it's not even a close call.

<P>For the past two years, I have battled morning glories all over my yard. I didn't know that the seeds spread like crazy and they are persistent. The vines are tough and stringy and hard to pull. I have hoed morning glory seedlings all summer this year and still they are coming up. Everywhere. And driving me crazy. So unless you can deal with morning glories everywhere for years afterward, don't plant them! I wish someone had told me before I made all this work for myself.</p>

I hear you - been there, done that as the saying goes. The people that lived here before planted them. I've lived here for 36 years and I still find a few each summer. The first 10 or 15 years were the worst, but there are still a few on the lawn and in my garden. So have fun.

For everyone else - be warned - there are other pretty flowers out there that aren't also weeds like morning glories.

Now I can see why my husband has refused to even consider my frequent requests to PLEASE let me plant Morning Glories at our place. I had remembered them from my childhood and they ARE beautiful but he always said, "No Morning Glories are EVER going to be planted on ANYTHING I own!" Bless his heart, he knew (for once!) what he was talking about!! =(^.^)=

I'm going to agree as well. As an added insult, they never come back true to the parents. So if you absolutely LOVE the "Heavenly Blue" or another particular hybrid and have your hopes up on getting tons of those seedlings the following year, well, you're going to get a completely different flower altogether. As the generations pass, the seeds revert back to the true, "wild" species, which is usually a bright purple, white, magenta, or combination of the three. They aren't ugly by any means, but wow, are they invasive! I was able to pull up the majority of my seedlings this year, and the ones that are left are too small to bloom, so they'll get killed off for good by our winter here in Zone 5. Of course, I'll probably be pulling up even more next year from the seeds that didn't sprout this year for one reason or another. So. Much. Trouble.

i have no problem with morning glories. i just plant them in large pots against the trellis. they still grow as big and at the end of the season empty pots out or keep for the following year.

If anyone has seeds for the purple morning glory I would like some. Thank you in advance.

Susan, I live in a different country to you, Australia, but in my home state Victoria, and probably other states too, they are declared a noxious weed, and you aren't permitted to plant them.

Where I work, I'm a community garden supervisor, the people next door have morning glory and it's always climbing over the fence attempting to smother our bean vines and other things. With some helpers, we continually cut back the vines that encroach, but it's an ongoing battle.

The purple flowers are beautiful though, and some people can't believe that anything with such a pretty flower can be declared a noxious weed!

And Trumpet Vines are a nightmare, too :-( If planted against a house or on a fence they cause horrid property damage like crazy in just a handful of years if not kept in weekly check and spread quickly like the Morning Glories :-( Thanks for the heads up on the Morning Glories because I was considering them !!!

I battled wild ones known as 'bindweed' for years at my previous place, and it factored into my decision to move. The only mention of it I ever found for an organic approach to eradicating it recommended a 'smother mulch', at least two feet deep. I had a feeling that author had never tried that idea, and hauling in two feet of material is too much work without a dumptruck and a skidsteer loader. Very properly understood as a baddie!

Our neighbor planted some kind of clematis on our shared fence years ago, and I've battled it for 19 years. The wind blows the seed into our yard, and they've taked over the entire yard. To make it worse, the roots run extremely deep (well over 18 inches). This summer, I've declared war on them and have been using round-up (which I would never before consider). I have a regular spray schedule and am not giving up. I plan on winning sooner or later. I also have a trumpet vine that is being beligerent and some wild bindweed too. I plan on taking back my yard. Anyway, I'm glad you sent this in. People need to consider these things before they plant.

I love my morning glorys,hope to plant more even. I never knew they reseeded themselves until a few years ago when someone gave me seeds off hers. They are in front of my kitchen window and I do enjoy seeing them full of blossoms in the morning. However I did plant a rose of Sharon bush(2) next to my litcjen window in another spot and it got huge and all my siding is rotted from behind them so that I do not reccommend. My son has torn them out and needless to say I do not reccomend planting bushes next to any building.

Wow! I've been planting morning glories in my garden for over fifty years and NEVER have had any problem. I can't imagine having them show up in my lawn, and I can't imagine having a summer without the beauty of this vine.

I have pretty blue & pink morning glories all around the house , mail box, fences & patio. So we have a blooming house & etc all spring & summer. We like it. Our friends also like it, "give me flowers while I'm living" old saying.

You can get morning glory flower seed at the Dollar General store. It cost too much to send them by mail, good luck.

If you want to get rid of morning glories or anything else with a broad leaf spray it with roundup, good luck.

I have to agree. I planted some on a corner fence in my yard. They were beautiful, but before long they were coming up all over my yard. I battled them for a couple of years and then I moved. Seemed like nothing would kill them and they strangled all of my other flowers!

As mentioned in some of the articles growing morning glories are not permitted in some states. Check with your extension office before planting them. They get into the crops and causes a multitude of pain for the farmers.

Blue and pinkish purple morning glory blooms.
Getting Rid of Morning Glory
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersSeptember 4, 2008
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
Hacker sitting streaming data
Warning Signs for Internet Scams
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
🎄