Do You Preheat a Baking Stone?

Do you need to heat the baking stone before baking cookies on it, or just use it like you would a normal pan?

M.D. from Bozeman, MT

Best Answer

I got my stone from Williams Sonoma and it said to preheat the stone, however, I never do it as it could break if a frozen pizza is placed on it. I know several girls who have had their Pampered Chefs stone break on them by doing this. As one other poster said, for cookies its usually recommended to use a cooled sheet.

I don't preheat my stone. I bought my stone at a thrift store and use it all the time. A friend cautioned me about cooking frozen pizza and NOT to preheat the stone as cold / hot might cause it to crack. I'm careful about letting it cool completely before cleaning it with water only on occasion.

I have never used a stone for cookies...just pizza... but they say to cool down baking sheets inbetween batches to keep them from spreading and the bottoms getting too brown so I would guess that you would NOT preheat the stone.

This baking stone from Pampered Chef has recipe suggestions and the ones I looked at did NOT say to preheat the stone.

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_pro ... sp?productId=164&categoryCode=FH

I've never used my stone for cookies. I did use my pyrex 9x13 pan the other day because my cookie sheet had been used by a grandson and it was a mess. I used the glass dish with a light buttering, cold, and baked cookies 8 minutes with little cooling in between, second batch 7 minutes. They were soft, and not crunchy on bottom. Family said the best ever.

I use my pizza stone cold, for pizza or bread, or rolls or homemade hamburger buns. I use a plain milk bread recipe for hamburger buns, divide into 6 or 8 pieces depending on big hamburgers, or medium. I always use quick rise yeast, sometimes let it rise twice , but if in a hurry, shape and let rise once on pizza stone which is lightly sprinkled with corn meal.I shape by making little round balls, with scraggly part tucked under, then I press it flet, with inner part flatter than outer, using fingers to press. I leave a tiny bit of space between each bun, let rise and bake about 12 minutes or more, depending on oven. My family says they are the best hamburger buns and are very filling with home made patties, also made with dip in middle, since they puff up when frying or baking.

For bread, I make my own healthy bread, usually adding seeds for fiber, however, cooking any recipe on a cold stone, just making a nice round ball, letting it rise on stone with a bowl or cloth over it, produces the nicest loaf of bread.

Heat oven, and put in cold stone with loaf on it.Bake as usual, time wise.

You do not need to preheat your stoneware! It is a wonderful tool to use in your oven and, if it fits, microwave and toaster oven. I actually have 3 flat ones of various shapes and sizes that I use when I bake cookies so that the first one is cooled by the time the 3rd one comes out of the oven. Do not put the thick frozen chicken or other meats on it - defrost these first. But you can cook frozen fishsticks, frozen meatballs, chicken nuggets, etc. Do let it cool completely before cleaning.

The only time that I preheat my stone is when I have take-and-bake pizza and I will let it heat with the oven then put the pizza on top and the bottom will get so nice and brown - not soggy in the middle!

Thanks! All your information has been helpful. I did not preheat the stone, and the cookies turned out great. It has been packed away for several years, and the instructions were lost, although I still have the original box. I've used it for sausage balls, biscuits, rolls, etc.

I do not preheat my pizza stone. I brought mine at Wal-Mart for doing pizzas cause they fit real good however when I do cookies I use my cookie sheets and parchment paper the paper is great no spraying or anything.

It depends on what you're using it for. Yes if you are baking bread or pizza from a scratch dough, or any non frozen item. You'll get the best crust by heating the stone. Absolutely do not put anything cold or frozen on it, just as you wouldn't with pyrex or any other tempered glass.

I also bake my cookies on a baking sheet with parchment or silicone paper, and cool the sheets in between batches. However since I have 30 cookie sheets (I used to have a bakery) this never really seemed to be a problem.

For a very inexpensive baking stone I buy Unglazed clay tile at a local tile store 8x8 inches each for under 2 dollars each. This also allows me to determine how big of an area I want create in the oven.

I've always preheated my stone simply because it is always in the oven. I don't use it for cookies, though. It's wonderful for bread and pizza crust.

Which is better parchment paper or silicone for baking cookies. I always have a problem with sticking even when I use a spray. Thanks, Carla

Parchment paper is easier than silicone and can be used and reused.

Baking a pizza on a baking stone.
Using a Baking Stone
Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CookiesSeptember 6, 2008
Installer Pavers
Making a Paving Stone Patio
Stone Wall
Hammering or Nailing Into Stone
Stone Coasters
Stone Coaster Tips and Tricks
Substitution for Baking Powder
Substitution for Baking Powder
🎄