Calculating Nutrition Values of Individual Servings

I would like to know how to calculate nutrition facts that are given from the parameter report. For example the report is given for 100 grams, we want it for a serving size of 40grams.

By Bernard from India

Do the math. If it's for 100 grams, but you want a figure for 40 grams, that's 40%. Multiply it by .4 to get 40%.

Or you could do it the long way, and divide it by 10 to get 10% and then multiply the 10% by 4 to get 40%. But multiplying by .4 would be easier.

April 1, 2011 Flag

So many of us are looking at fat grams and calories. I'm trying to calculate individual servings. If I take the nutritional value of the whole item, and divide it into pieces, would I come up with an approximate amount of calories and fat grams that would be in that single serving?

Let's assume something had 650 calories and 30 fat grams. If it made 10 servings, would the 1/10th have 65 calories and 3 fat grams of fat per serving? Or is there a factor(s) missing in doing a calculation of this type? It sounds like it should be easy, but does fiber, carbohydrate, and sodium become a factor when it is broken down?

Boxes and containers have the individual serving information, but someone has to come up with that information from somewhere. I'm a Weight Watcher and like to cook. I want to make dishes I can eat and tuck the rest away for another day. I have plenty of cookbooks so I am looking for a solution to some favorites. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Karen from Buffalo, NY

They should indicate the nutritional value per serving, especially calories. With the carbs, I would contact the American Diabetes Association or your local hospital's dietician about obtaining their guide for carbs: 15 grams = 1 serving, or 1 medium apple. Dividing the total to break down to half servings is a rough estimate, the nutritionists have pretty exact calculations. I believe, though that with fat and calories it is a matter of proportion, so you couldn't "halve" the number. I would seriously contact a licensed dietician on that!

Between my experience of gestational diabetes (managed with diet) and my DH with Atkins, we are going the glycemic index route with more of a focus on his whole grain intake balanced with protein (kind of an ADA-Atkins-The Zone combo!). So I just go by plain common sense: 1 cup portions with lots of dietary fiber (whole grain and veggies) then fill him with meat (low fat) so he won't complain too much! Smaller meals/snacks throughout the day, with no extra exercise since May 8, and he is down one and a half belt holes. Very good, considering his metabolism! (07/12/2006)

By camo_angels

I am retired, but was a registered dietitian. The information on food packages is calculated for one serving, the numbers are already broken down for you. I want to emphasize measuring your portions to be sure the amount you are eating matches what is on the information panel. Many people do not know how to gauge serving sizes. This is partly due to the inflated food portions that are served in restaurants. A good example is pasta, a serving is 1/2 cup. Measure your food and you may be surprised at the actual size of a portion. After a while you will be able to "eyeball" the appropriate amount. (07/17/2006)

By Enter your name cosmic

Health & Beauty NutritionApril 1, 2011
Muffin Tin Cobbler
Muffin Tin Cobbler Recipes
Celebrating Kwanzaa
Celebrating Kwanzaa
baked rolled calzone
Rolled Calzone Recipes
Baked Salmon Cakes
Muffin Tin Salmon Cakes