Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Black Mold From Grout

I have some mold on the grout in my shower. I've used bleach and hydrogen peroxide with no luck. Any ideas on how to get rid of it without spending a small fortune?

By Carmiegirl from Kissimmee, FL

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Black Mold From Grout

I have serious black mold in the grout between the tiles over my bathtub/shower. All the mold removal tips I can find depend on gravity, like letting bleach or other concoctions soak in over time. How can I do this? I'm hoping it can be accomplished without my arms falling off.

Thanks.

Jamjar

RE: Removing Black Mold From Grout

EASY-OFF BAM Multi-Surface Power "Toilet Cleaner"

Just run this gel down your grout lines. Walk away for 5 minutes. (Or sit and watch it work.) The black mold will be gone. Zero scrubbing. Just rinse with water. Also, work quickly the bleach smell is heavy. I promise your grout lines will be printer paper white. Scouts Honor! ...did I mention NO scrubbing. (06/16/2008)

By alcorn1871

RE: Removing Black Mold From Grout

At Home Depot or Lowe's, get Krud Kutter. I buy the gallon ($11.35) and put some in a spray bottle and spray my tile and grout which hadn't been cleaned for many months. It did run some, but what was left worked on the grout. I just rinsed it all off and now it is sparkling clean.

I also use it on the tile/grout in my breezeway, as my 2 adoptees (Shih Tzu dogs) have never been housebroken and the urine stain is "renewed" daily by them. Again, I just spray, have a cup of coffee, then mop with clean water. Stain gone til they use the same spot again. Just "don't" use it on any finished wood, as it will strip off the finish and the color. I even use about 1/4 cup in washing machine for soiled dog beds. (06/17/2008)

By JoanDogs

RE: Removing Black Mold From Grout

I would spray with a bleach and water solution and lightly brush everyday (don't kill yourself). Eventually it will come clean, then you'll just need to spray after showers and brush once a week. Good luck. (06/18/2008)

By mulberry204

RE: Removing Black Mold From Grout

Have you tried vinegar to remove the mold? (06/18/2008)

By Ayin

RE: Removing Black Mold From Grout

I read to use Lysol toilet bowl cleaner, and I did this. It took 2 or three days of reapplying and scrubbing, but it eventually came clean. (08/04/2008)

By tammym09