Microwaving Baked Potatoes

I was talking to my son and he told me that a number of guys were sitting around sharing single guy cooking hints. The subject came around to baked potatoes. A police officer friend said. "I just wrap mine in saran wrap and hit the potato button." I wasn't aware that I had a potato button on my microwave. I tried it today and it is wonderful. 5 minutes for a huge baker.

Source: A man on the Houston Police Force and my son, the machinist.

By MartyD from Houston,TX

Forgive me, but I was told never to put Saran wrap in the microwave. Toxic chemicals in the Saran Wrap will leak in to the food. I love the paper bag idea. I also cook them in the microwave, then after they are cooked, put in foil for five minutes to finish cooking outside the microwave.

The saran wrap package has microwave instructions. But the important thing is to get a good baked potato.

I use a sharp knife and make cuts on the potato and place in microwave and hit the button on #7.

I wrap mine in paper towels and then put in microwave!

I have read the same thing as far as using plastic wrap but I am going to try the brown paper bag. I know it works to make popcorn so why not potatoes?

Anonymous

I am jealous because I only have a popcorn or beverage button and have to program the time otherwise. ;-)

It's recommended 'not' to place plastic wraps directly on food when microwaving. I do the fork or knife pokes, dampen the skin and then cover with a microwave food cover to help hold the moisture in. (The covers only cost a couple of dollars and hold up for months and months.)

I have been doing this for years. As my microwave is very old, I prick the top of the potato with a fork, place it/them on paper napkins and set it for 7 minutes.

This is how I bake a quick potato. I also top it with a little butter and then a healthy portion of cottage cheese. I get my carbs and protein and it tastes great!

I never use plastic wrap of any kind in the microwave as it "plastic" breaks down under the heat and goes into our food. Also plastic containers which are deemed "safe" for the microwave, cute packages for steamed veggies etc. Unless you want to feed these toxins to your family, use corning ware, or dishes safe for the microwave. I use wax paper to cover food if needed.

People whatever you do never ever microwave any kind of food that's in a plastic container or wrapped in plastic, it becomes a toxic nightmare when you do that. You should never microwave food anyway, it destroys all nutritional content

I have never liked to use plastic in the microwave, or to microwave baked potatoes. I find them all tough or like rubber. When I find that if you poke holes and take wrap the Potatoes in a wet cloth it seem to keep it from it being rubbery. Try be you might like it.