Lighting and ElectricHome Improvement

Lights Dimming

I am experiencing the electricity dimming and changing consistency frequently. I have contacted the Electric Company and they did an analysis by setting up some sort of measuring meter. As far as they know, it's not coming from their outside lines, therefore is coming from inside the house. What should I look into? How can I approach the problem to test it out? I just want to have as much knowledge so I don't get ripped off.

Jaime

Hi Jamie

That sounds like you have lights connected to a circuit intended for a major appliance like a water heater or air conditioner. Trip each breaker, one at a time and note which one makes the lights go off. If it is the 30 Amp breaker labelled "Water Heater", then you found the cause. The light circuit is tapped into that circuit somewhere in the house.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

http://webby.com/humor

Hi Jaime,

You don't mention if there was work done recently in the house or not.If there hasn,t been the first thing I would do is take the cover off the breaker panel*(BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL!!!)*and check each and every lug that it is tight.A loose neutral(WHITE) wire could cause dimming as well.

Bob

boophead@netscape.com

Hi Jaime,

Bob

boophead@netscape.com

Hi Jaime,

Bob

boophead@netscape.com

Hi Jaime,

Bob

i think that sounds like the same as what we call "power surges" & when we lived downtown - we got them alot - when we called about it - it was that they had more households on the trunk bundle - or whatever it is - than they should - so we weren't getting all the "juice" to our house do to "supply & demand"

there were quite a few more homes than that trunk line was meant for --

We had the same problem. The main wires that are coming into your house from outside, that section is usually not looked at by the average person and they work there way loose over time. A electrician knew exactly what it was when we called him to come to our house. We put up this the dimming situation for years before we finally asked someone to look at it.

Your 110 volt circuit is really half of the 220 volts coming into the house, the 110 volt circuits are kept equal by the neutral wire, the neutral wire connection is probably corroded at the panel or the meter outside. You need a real electrician for this.