Killing Grass and Weeds

What can I use to kill the grass so I can put in rock?

Tim

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I have heard of the newspaper technique before, and although I have not tried it, here is what I would do. I would lay down the newspaper like the other posters have suggested. Then I would cover it with the rock that you want to use. Eventually the newspaper will decompose, but by then, there will be lots of dirt and such on top of the rock anyway. I have landscape fabric and rock in my yard, and have had this for over 8 years. I have to pull weeds out of the crushed rock off and on. If you don't do that, you have to dig out all the rock, and clean it with a screen, or replace it with new rock. Some of my neighbours clean their rock mulch with leaf blowers and such fairly often. It depends on how fussy you want to be.

1 gal white vinegar [$2.08 at Walmart], 1 cup salt, 1 good squirt of Lemon Joy liquid dish soap. I mix this in a watering can and 'water' the weeds in my pea stone dog pen about once every 4-6 weeks. Weeds are dead the day after I do this.

The newspaper weedblock seems dandy - easy and effective. Beware the newsprint, however. Many papers are still printed with a petroleum-based ink - NOT good for your soil. Check with your local newspaper and ask if they use soy-based inks. If so, great! If not, ask them why not.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsMay 17, 2005
killing weeds
Planting After Killing Weeds With Vinegar
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 11:55:11 AM on 10.0.1.65 in 920 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.