Clothing StainsCleaning

Chalk as a Spot Remover

My mother had some great chalk spot remover, which I inherited. But I am running out and have been wondering how to replace it. Somewhere I saw that you could use ordinary playground chalk for similar spot cleaning (great for grease spots). You apply the chalk, it absorbs the grease, and you can just dust it off. I picked up some sidewalk chalk at my last visit to the 99 cent Store. It's not quite as soft, but I think it will do.

By Pamphyila from L.A., CA

Baby powder works for this too, grease spots I mean. I keep a container for right away grease spots, not older ones. Works pretty well but I always do Greased Lightening or Simple Green too,

I have always used cornstarch in the same manor. Really helps in a pinch when you discover the spot at the last minute and no time to relaunder....especially on my son's shirts.

Thank you so much for this tip, I am going to take a few of the sidewalk chalk pieces that the kids have and put it in the laundry room! I am wondering if this would help, on the Gulf situation with the oil. Thank you again for this tip, I am voting on it, because I would never have thougt of it in a million years, and I can start using it right now!

Robyn

Thank you.

I have always had great success with baking soda.

Have you tried tailors chalk? That is very soft as it is used to mark fabric for cutting out and sewing so it is very soft.

Get it from the haberdashers or sewing store.

The Janie Stick is what I have always used and with great results.

There many places to order online, I just posted a link to one of them.

Janie Dry Stick Laundry Stain Remover

Laundry By Shelli Segal

Janie Stick is an all natural, solvent free spot & stain remover cleaning stick that comes with a built in brush. A combination of natural earth clays absorb the stain.

http://www.sust  ry-stain-remover

I used plain baking soda on some grease spots on my new white livingroom furniture. Just sprinkled it on & let it set for a day or so. Then vacuumed it away & the spots were gone. Worked very good.

I use corn starch. I keep a little jar full in my laundry room and put on stains as I put into the laundry basket. Works wonders.