I've heard that poison ivy hates boron-rich soil, and that an easy way to kill it off and prevent it from re-growing is to add borax to the soil. Has anyone else heard of this? And do you know if it would hurt other plants as well? I have three 100+ year old maples that I really don't want to kill. I have tons of poison ivy, and this seemed like a relatively cheap and safe way to get rid of it. Any ideas?
Hardiness Zone: 5a
Please be sure to rate the answer which works best for you. Do you have a better answer? Click above to answer this question.
By Peace (Guest Post)08/01/2007
I poured vinegar full strength on some poison ivy that was growing in my yard. It died. So did any other vegetation around it. So I am filling in the space with potted plants. I am so happy to be rid of the poison ivy.
By mcmillan968 (Guest Post)08/02/2007
BORAX will kill EVERYTHING in the area it is NOT a good solution
Maples are under fire and loosing hand pulling is YOUR ONLYoption!!!
By Dean (Guest Post)07/31/2007
You could always try some borax on a small area and monitor the ivy to see what happens but I don't think it will work. You can continue to cut it at the roots or pull up the roots but you have to get all the roots. If you cut it or pull up the roots wear long sleeve shirts,pants and heavy work gloves. And what ever you do,do NOT burn the stuff. You could also go to your local garden center for some advise.
Suggestions for your poison ivy: I have found old carpet effective in coping with groundcovers I want to lose. Lay it down over the area, preferably in the spring before it starts to grow. Of course you can start any time of year but it is important to have the carpet in as close contact with the soil as possible. So be sure you have any holes or gaps covered to stop all light, weight it down with rocks if necessary.
Almost any way of dealing with the stuff puts you in contact with it and chance of being affected. I like the option below better;
You can get a couple goats - they love it and will keep it eaten down till it dies. (If they are milk goats and you drink the milk while they have poison ivy in their diet you won't be susceptible to it!)
Best of luck!
I put on rubber gloves that the health care industry uses and then pull out that dreaded stuff. Then I hold it in my hand and take the glove off pulling the top down around the poison ivy. The ivy should end up inside the outside of the glove. Or it is inside the inside out glove. Then I put it in the trash.
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.