Disinfecting a New Mattress

The other day my fiance and I bought a bed. The thing about the bed is that it was the display mattress, where people can lay/sit on it. The reason for buying the display one was because it was a great deal, a $600 mattress for $335. I was wanting to disinfect it but I am unsure what to use. I was hoping to use the Clorox Anywhere Spray, but its for hard surface only. Does anyone know what I could use?

Summer

You might want to try using 10-12 drops of essential oil mixed with about 2 ounces of water and misting your bed with that. It's a safe and effective anti-bacterial. Tea Tree oil would be effective as would lavender. Lavender oil would make the bed smell extra nice, too! Just be sure you use essential oil and not fragrance oil to get the cleansing effect.

Borax, in the aqua yellow box in the laundry aisle. Think that should work.

thanks!! i'll give it a try!!

I use Lysol Disinfectant Spray each time the sheets are changed and also the mattress have a pad cover over it.

I use the Lysol Disinfecting Spray for my bed, sheets and furniture, too. I also take it with me if I'm staying in a hotel...it just makes me feel better when I slip under those sheets...and it has a great fresh scent!!!!

What about a steam cleaner?

I'd forget it. It would be no different than sitting on a theater seat, and you sure don't disenfect that every time you go. The few people sitting or lying on that mattress surely were fully dressed.

I have a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol in it handy for using all the time. I'd spray the mattress with alcohol. I use the alcohol on the telephone, light switches, door knobs, cabinet pulls, etc...even my hands. It is a sanitizer, that's one of the ingredients in fabreeze.

I keep a spray bottle with white vinegar in it and spray it on everything. I use it to clean mirrors, counter tops, floors, etc. and also spray it in the air and on fabrics as a "freshener". When I change the sheets & mattress pads on my beds I spray the mattress with the vinegar. The vinegar scent disappears quickly and the mattress is dry long before I need to remake the bed.

Vinegar is a natural deodorizer and cleanser and is very inexpensive in the gallon jug.

I would use Lysol also as it disinfects and deodorizes. And maybe those people who lay on the bed are fully clothed, but you don't know where "those clothes" have been and I'm sure they don't take off their shoes when they try them out and think where their feet have been and what they may have walked on! Picky? Maybe, but I wouldn't want to sleep with anyone elses germs! Maybe I would steam clean it first then use Lysol! Good luck!

I don't know about disinfecting a mattress but we have a vinyl allergy cover on our mattress and one on the box spring. You can not feel it once you put the mattress pad and sheets on. Because it's air tight, it would keep anything that is on the mattress from getting on you and it also improves the life of the mattress, preventing it from getting full of dust.