Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

How can I get my laundry to smell good?

By Josie from Washington, MI

By Sara02/09/2011

I always use Febreze SPORT on my work and workout clothes! Works GREAT for me!

By clare11/24/2010

I never used Tide. I purchased Tide because it was on sale for a cheaper price. The first time I used the clothes smelled musty. The more I used it the worse the clothes smelled. Even my son picked up on it. So I found my self having to clean my washer and used a different detergent and no more smell. What I've been doing not to waste the Tide, Ii use a little and mix it with another detergent. If you have sensitive skin try using All baby detergent. It gets tough stains out and as a great mild sent. Will not be buying Tide again.

By Marisha10/02/2010

You might try adding baking soda or laundry booster to your wash.
I use this on my son's athletic items, yuck!
You could also try soaking your smellier things in a bucket with white vinegar and water before washing them. Good luck.

By Louise B. [4]10/02/2010

If it smells good coming out of the dryer, or off the line, you can store bars of soap in your drawers, unwrapped, and this will faintly scent your clothing. When someone gives me lovely scented soaps from the body shop, I unwrap them and tuck them into my drawers. This gives them a nice smell. I also use scented candles this way. I am just brainstorming a few ideas.

Are you using warm water for your loads, and hot water for stuff like dishtowels? Cold water is not as good, althought sometimes it is satisfactory. Are you using enough detergent? Measure and use the recommended amount for awhile. See if that helps. Too much is as bad as not enough. Do you separate out and sort your laundry? How dirty are the things before you wash them? Do you remove clothing from the washer and hang it up or dry it promptly? If it sits, it can develop sour smells.

By Phanay [2]10/01/2010

Sure glad someone started this thread. I too have the smellys when I pull my drawer open to go for my night t-shirts.
Puff. It hits me in the face and I pull away. This started when we lived in Nevada, and now here, CA. Different washer/dryers. Being a true fan of Cheer, I tried different detergents. I even went off Downy and tried other softeners.
While putting the clothes away, they smell great.

But then try opening the drawers. Yes, I took the entire dresser apart and washed it down inside and out. I do that each 6 months to almost a year. I never over stuff the washer/dryer. Just two of us, and I wash every 3 days. Clothes with clothes, linen with linen, white towels separate from colored towels I'm going for the dry detergent and vinegar rinse.

Sounds logical.
Thank you so much.

By katrina [5]10/01/2010

I have been using biokleen; no chemcials; use only a tiny amount each load as no fillers; they smell wonderful!
Might also get a bottle or make your own "fabric softener"; put tablespoon or so of your favorite one and put it on a rag; toss in with your clothes and it will freshen it all up; bottle should last you a full year! Also, might check if your water has an odor to it; this happened in a town in idaho; where the water had a funky "rotten egg" smell to it however the town insisted that the water was good to drink. Even bathing, or washing dishes the horrid odor was there! Drinking water and brushing teeth water came from a bottled water distributor, however, I did not pay to have water delivered to be used in laundering! I finally just moved away! A "reverse osmosis" that cost thousands of dollars could have been done, from what we were told!

By Joan [13]10/01/2010

Hang them outside to dry and they will smell like fresh air and sunshine, or else use fabric softener sheets in the dryer.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

I must have hard water. My clothes never smell clean. I don't want to put in some fragrance, it has to be the water. I need a filter or something. Anyone have any ideas?

NYYankee from NY

RE: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

I had a similar problem when we first moved into our new home. The home had a water softener system, and it seems like when we run out of salt in the filter, is when the odor starts reappearing in the washing machine and clothes. You may have a hard water problem that needs a water softener system. Good luck! (05/30/2006)

By Krys

RE: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

Borax. Add 1/2 cup of borax to your washing cycle, and you'll be amazed at the difference. This is an old, old remedy that my grandmother used to get the smell out of grampa's overalls that he wore day after day.

Also, line drying will help tremendously. (05/31/2006)

By susabelle

RE: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

THis is a very oldtime great-grandma solution: Wash your clothes well in borax, add vinegar to the rinse, and immediately lay the clothes out on the grass in the sun to dry. It's amazing what the chlorophyl and fresh air will do. Odors usually disappear. THis was an old-fashioned way to brighten clothes gently as well. And has the added benefit of raising your neighbors' curiosity level to new heights. I've done it occasionally and it beats even line-drying for that totally fresh smell. (08/11/2006)

By maggie

RE: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

Borax (I use that and washing soda for my washing PERIOD) and use vinegar in your rinse (like fab softner) No toxins and all products neutralize and deoderize (the washing soda disinfects! (08/12/2006)

By camo_angels

RE: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

What is Borax and where can I buy it? (b)Editor's Note: (/b) It is usually available in the laundry section of the grocery store, with the all fabric bleach and other additives. Look for 20 Mule Team Borax. It is different than Borateem. (08/15/2006)

By Anonymous

Archive: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

How do I clean my washer and dryer, my clothes stink after being washed? The smell is kind of musty.

Archive: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

I have been using ALL detergent for several years and when I try other brands (especially Tide) my laundry would smell funky. We recently connected to city water instead of well water (which I thought was the problem), but it is still happening.

I haven't found any other brand that works. Any ideas as to what would be causing this? We also have a brand new water heater.

By Shelly from MN

RE: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

Have you tried Gain detergent? It smells great. My son left all his dirty sports uniforms in his locker and when he finally brought them home. You can't imagine the stench. Two washings with Gain and they were back to new. (03/08/2010)

By Amy3e

RE: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

My guess is it's the washer and dryer that are the problem. Wipe and wash all nooks and crannies, grooves, etc. with white vinegar and water. See if it helps. (03/08/2010)

By PIKKA

Archive: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

By Shelly from MN

RE: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

By Amy3e

RE: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

By PIKKA

Archive: My Clothes Don't Smell Good

Why do my clothes smell foul after washing and drying them?