My Clothes Don't Smell Good

How can I get my laundry to smell good?

By Josie from Washington, MI

Best Answer

Hang them outside to dry and they will smell like fresh air and sunshine, or else use fabric softener sheets in the dryer.

Best Answer

You might try adding baking soda or laundry booster to your wash.

I use this on my son's athletic items, yuck!

You could also try soaking your smellier things in a bucket with white vinegar and water before washing them. Good luck.

Best Answer

I always use Febreze SPORT on my work and workout clothes! Works GREAT for me!

I have been using biokleen; no chemcials; use only a tiny amount each load as no fillers; they smell wonderful!

Might also get a bottle or make your own "fabric softener"; put tablespoon or so of your favorite one and put it on a rag; toss in with your clothes and it will freshen it all up; bottle should last you a full year! Also, might check if your water has an odor to it; this happened in a town in idaho; where the water had a funky "rotten egg" smell to it however the town insisted that the water was good to drink. Even bathing, or washing dishes the horrid odor was there! Drinking water and brushing teeth water came from a bottled water distributor, however, I did not pay to have water delivered to be used in laundering! I finally just moved away! A "reverse osmosis" that cost thousands of dollars could have been done, from what we were told!

Sure glad someone started this thread. I too have the smellys when I pull my drawer open to go for my night t-shirts.

Puff. It hits me in the face and I pull away. This started when we lived in Nevada, and now here, CA. Different washer/dryers. Being a true fan of Cheer, I tried different detergents. I even went off Downy and tried other softeners.

While putting the clothes away, they smell great.

But then try opening the drawers. Yes, I took the entire dresser apart and washed it down inside and out. I do that each 6 months to almost a year. I never over stuff the washer/dryer. Just two of us, and I wash every 3 days. Clothes with clothes, linen with linen, white towels separate from colored towels I'm going for the dry detergent and vinegar rinse.

Sounds logical.

Thank you so much.

If it smells good coming out of the dryer, or off the line, you can store bars of soap in your drawers, unwrapped, and this will faintly scent your clothing. When someone gives me lovely scented soaps from the body shop, I unwrap them and tuck them into my drawers. This gives them a nice smell. I also use scented candles this way. I am just brainstorming a few ideas.

Are you using warm water for your loads, and hot water for stuff like dishtowels? Cold water is not as good, althought sometimes it is satisfactory. Are you using enough detergent? Measure and use the recommended amount for awhile. See if that helps. Too much is as bad as not enough. Do you separate out and sort your laundry? How dirty are the things before you wash them? Do you remove clothing from the washer and hang it up or dry it promptly? If it sits, it can develop sour smells.

I never used Tide. I purchased Tide because it was on sale for a cheaper price. The first time I used the clothes smelled musty. The more I used it the worse the clothes smelled. Even my son picked up on it. So I found my self having to clean my washer and used a different detergent and no more smell. What I've been doing not to waste the Tide, Ii use a little and mix it with another detergent. If you have sensitive skin try using All baby detergent. It gets tough stains out and as a great mild sent. Will not be buying Tide again.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryOctober 1, 2010
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
Smelling clothing in the washing machine.
Clothes Smell Bad After Washing
Diagram of how to make a clothes pin rocking chair.
Making a Clothes Pin Chair