Baked Breads Still Having a Gooey Center

What causes some breads to bake completely and some to have a gooey middle even after extra time baking? I'm talking about breads like banana bread, breads made with a starter, etc.

Glowgirl from Watertown, WI

Don't bake them on a rainy or moist day. Bake at a lower temp. for longer until toothpick comes out clean. what temp are you baking them at?

Is your oven temperature accurate? You could get an oven thermometer to monitor the temperature of your oven. Maybe it is hotter than what the temperature knob up top says.

I have that problem as well when making banana bread. I have found that keeping the temperature lower...300-325 degrees helps. Using teflon also changes the way breads will cook.

Just lower your temperature and cook longer.

Hopefully that helps

Take care,

Lisa

leeb67 @ sympatico dot ca

The suggestions posted so far are very good advice; the only thing I can add is, try adding wheat gluten. This the stuff in flour that bonds the dough together during rising and baking, trapping the gas produced into bubbles. For regular white breads you probably won't need this, but especially if you are using whole wheat, rye or other flour it makes a huge difference. Also, note that if you are adding stuff like bananas or cheese or fruit, that stuff has no gluten and displaces white flour, which has. Rule of thumb is the less white flour in a bread, the more you need to add gluten. I don't know why most bread recipes don't include this in the list of ingredients; I have learned to add it to every loaf I bake and the difference it makes in some recipes is pretty astounding. I wouldn't even try stuff like banana breads or my (one day to be famous) "Hot Chili Pepper & Cheese Buttermilk Bread" without it.

Anonymous

I had this problem, too, and I can't add wheat gluten, since I can't have wheat. I will lower the temperature from 365 to 325 and bake it longer. I was using gluten-free flour.