Purchase Gift Cards Throughout The Year

For Christmas shopping, start purchasing gift cards every paycheck or month in January. By the time you get to Christmas, you won't have to dip into your regular budget to purchase Christmas gifts.

Source: I originally read this suggestion in a Woman's Day magazine.

By ALS from Columbia, MD

I would suggest that everyone make sure to check the expiration dates on the cards before buying them throughout the year. Last Christmas, my daughter received a gift card for $25 from a local bagel store. She found out that the card was purchased almost 10 months before she received it as a gift and that it would expire 12 months after purchase. Subsequently, instead of enjoying bagels throughout the year, she ended up with a gift card that expired before she could use it up.

I agree with the above comment; however, in CA - this is illegal. Regardless of the date on the card, the merchant MUST HONOR THE FULL AMOUNT SHOWN ON THE CARD.

My other comment is this: there was an item on our local news channel today that said that if the card is from a certain store; lots of people can't find anything that they want from that store; others 'forget' to use them, Thought you'd appreciate this information.

Hi, This is a great idea. Our church sells scrip and not only are the gift cards welcome with the recipients, but our church benefits from the sale. ALS is correct. A little at a time is much easier on the budget.

Yes, I would say check exp dates and preferably buy ones without them if you're going to try this idea. I think the idea is great tho as a way not to have the expenditure all at once.

As far as the bagel store gift card, it's possible the giver was re-gifting a card he or she hadn't used.

why not just put X amount of money in savings account and when christmas or birthdays, etc... the money will be there to purchase your gift cards

Being of an extremely limited income, I do this as well throughout the year but make sure there is no exp. dates...

I also do online shopping and emails from mypoints and then redeem my years accumulated points for Giftcards for Christmas... I was able to earn 6 KB Toys gift cards and 4 Walmart cards this year...

I love this idea. Personally, if I have cash, I'll probably spend it, but keeping the cards just in a box someplace would stop me from doing that. This is a great idea!

Christmas Gift Card
Giving Gift Cards for Christmas
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts AdviceNovember 13, 2007
Framed Business Card
Other Uses for Business Cards
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards