Baby ItemsCrochet

Rainbow Baby Afghan

Category Baby Items

This is a quick and easy baby afghan to make. I just love worsted weight yarn so I try and make most of my baby projects in it. It makes for a warm and heavy blanket. But this could also be made in sport weight or baby weight yarn for a lighter blanket. This is a great project for a beginner as it teaches a great trick for changing colors that you will use a lot for afghans.

Materials

For this project, I used 20 oz. of pink, blue, yellow, cream, and green yarn. That is 20 oz. total. I bought one Super Saver skein of each color and used about three fourths of each skein. I used about a half a skein of multicolored yarn for the trim. I used an I hook

Instructions

1. With Pink: Chain 100. In fourth chain from hook 3 dc, skip 3 stitches, 1 sc in next stitch, chain 3, 3 dc in same stitch, Skip 3 stitches, 1 sc in next stitch, chain 3, 3 dc in same stitch. Repeat this pattern until you end with a sc in last stitch.
  2. Row 2: 3 dc in last sc of previous row, 1 sc in the chain 3 chain 3 3dc in same stitch repeat until you end with one sc in top of chain 3. Repeat this pattern for 4 more rows.
  3. Color Change Row: To change color, work stitch until you have only two loops left on hook and grab loop of new color and finish stitch. Drop old color and work with new color. You can cut and work in end of old color now so you don't have to worry about it when your project is complete.
  4. Work 3 rows in cream. Work 6 rows in blue. Work 3 rows in cream. Work 6 rows in green. Work 3 rows in cream. Work 6 rows in yellow. On last row of yellow, fasten off and work in ends.
  5. Shell border: Attach multicolor yarn at any corner and work 3dc, ch3, 3 dc at each corner and then work evenly spaced around afghan 5 dc shells.

About The Author: Debra Frick is a mother of 5 and a grandmother to 7 grandsons. She is a published author and poetress. Born in California, she now lives in Colorado Springs with her husband and many pets. Her hobbies include crocheting, reading, arts and crafts and bargain hunting.

Very pretty color combination, and I like the unusual pattern stitch. It gives a nice texture.

Debra, I had to copy that pattern! I think I will enjoy making it up in several different colors. Thanks for sharing and God bless you!

I am going to start this pattern tonight but make it bigger. I have a whole lot of left over yarn from different projects in many colors. Instead of the shell stitch border I am going to leave the yarn ends as fringe at the start and end of each row. It looks like a really fun pattern to do.

I need help please. I've made this blanket before and had no problem. This time I cant seem to keep the ends straight. I know you do the sc in the last stitch. then do you chain 3 then do the 3 dc in the same stitch. That's where its going way off. Any suggestions? Please.

Thank you

Patty