Sewing Chalk Board

I took a Dollar Tree chalkboard and made it into a decorative board for your sewing room.

Approximate Time: 1 Hour

• Dollar Tree chalkboard
  • any color measuring tape
  • a can top, crimped for safety
  • scrap magnets
  • mini thread package like at the Dollar Tree
  • pins, needles, safety pins
  • buttons
  • hot glue gun
  • other sewing embellishments

1. Lay the board on a flat surface and start gluing the tape from left to right. Cut the end of the tape where it runs out of board.
  2. Turn the board with the glued measure to the left, and do it down the side. Keep doing this till the board is framed in the tape.
  3. Ad

My Mistake: I overlapped the tape on each corner, but if I were you, I would miter the corners so they are not so thick.

4. I crocheted a little pin cushion on the top, but you can use a needle fob or something similar.
  5. Hot glue the can lid to the center or any place you want it. This is your 'Memo Board' so you can put notes up.
  6. With the magnet pieces, glue some to the spools for magnets on the metal. I also glued a magnet to the metal so I could keep pins, needles, etc. together.
  7. I then just hot glued some cute things to the frame, keeping the sewing theme going.

This makes a nice gift for a crafter, and is less than $2.00-3.00 to make.

They come with hooks on the back, so make sure the hook to hang it with is up when you start to decorate or you will have to do like I did and make my own hook.

Silly me!

By Sandi from Coos Bay, OR

Really cute idea Sandi! :-)

Love it!

Totally cute idea, Sandi! TFS!

God Bless,

Sheila in Springfield, IL

Thanks everyone! More to come!

PBP, how did I miss this the first time around?! I really like this so I added to your thumbs-up on it.

Thank-you to TF for reposting it-I'm going to print this off and make one themed for my sewing area, and another themed for the kitchen:)

homemade chalkboard
Making a Chalkboard
Crafts Home Decor DecorationsSeptember 8, 2010
Sidewalk chalk drawing.
Homemade Sidewalk Chalk
Cleaning Chalk Off Upholstered Furniture
Colorful Chalk
Cleaning Chalk Stains Off Carpet
chalk pastels
Making Chalk Drawings