Party Ideas for Kids With Disabilities

We have an autistic grandson who will be 10 in January. His parents are planning a birthday party for him at the school where he resides. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do at a party for children who have learning disabilities? There will be other children there too who don't have disabilities. Thanks! Any help will be much appreciated.

Eva from Shenandoah Valley of VA

Ask the teachers! Having taught special ed for many years, I generally knew what kind of things my students could and liked to do. I also knew what they HATED! Some special needs kids freak out if balloons pop, clowns freak some kids. Teachers will work with you to plan a special time for all. And bring everything with you that you need. I remember one party where I was given canned Hi-C punch-and didn't have an opener, or cake and plates and no necessary forks.

i also work with autistic boys. we have had a couple parties. they are low functioning and dont notice everything, but they like cake. they also like to "help" with the mixing. it makes it kinda hard and different but they have made pudding and waffles in the classroom. they also decorated ginger bread men.

Where on the spectrum is your grandson? Is he verbal? If so, how well? Does he have a fave movie or cartoon character, go with that theme. Linda makes a good point, ask the teachers. If you can, watch a class in session. If you have a back yard, let them play in the back yard, invest in some big beach balls, if weather permits, or ask a local church or school if you can rent their gymnasium, or if you have a large rec room. Interaction? Children's songs, have them clap or dance. I have an autistic son who will be five in December. Also, maybe getting together with the parents and caregivers of the children you plan to invite will spark some good ideas, too. You say non mentally challenged kids will be there, but will mentally challenged kids be there? If so, talk to the parents. If more of the parents can come out, it can be more soothing for the children to know that a comfort person is there. E-mail me if you like at KLS8800 @ aol . com (take out spaces) and put autism in the subject line so I can know it is not spam. If you are interested, I also have a few sites and names of people who also sell autistic clothing, weighted vests, blankets, toys, bracelets, etc. Happy birthday to your grandson and good luck to you.

their are kids in class rooms you can't have certain foods for beaverial isssue or allerigys make sure you ask the teacher which foods are allowed in the classroom as teacher it is very hard if thwrong foods are brought in .

Thanks for all the great information. I will share all them with my son & daughter-in-law. I think we will have a good time! Any person that has an autistic child knows what a challenge it is. It's so rewarding when they make a breakthrough, thanks again!

hi, I run a gym club for children with autism and various disabilities. I do parties for the children from time to time.Here is a party plan for you.

Every one run in a circle and adult shout ......'stop, show me a tuck, or sit or star' etc shape (Only choose one)

get a great big exercise physio ball and some cardboard boxes. Roll the ball down the hall how many can you knock down?

Slide a 2p. Buy a bottle of juice drink. Each child has 2 x 2ps. Each from a distance takes a turn to slide it as close to the bottle as possible.Winner has the bottle. Very popular, you may need to do this game twice!

Ask adults to bring a trampoline rebounder in (Lots of people have these at home but do not use them!) let say you have three or four, the children jump on these for a set time say 30 secs. Say you are looking for the group who jumps the most carefully.Award all teams with a small prize.

Children stand in a circle with an adult in the middle. The adult bounces the physio ball at each child to catch.

First round slowly

Second round more quickly

Third round a child can do the adults job.

You need a box of tissues.The kids hold the tissue on their front and one at a time see if they can run the length of the hall with out it falling off.

Get someone who is fit. Play a piece of pop music and ask the kids to follow all the steps that you do.Commend those who you feel did a great job.

Good Luck with your party! Hope you have as much fun at your end as we do ours!

Monkeygym

Holidays and Parties Parties BirthdayNovember 28, 2005
A safety pin with beads in a flag pattern.
Patriotic Craft Ideas For Kids (USA)
Bicycle Themed Birthday Party
Bicycle Themed Birthday Party Ideas
beaded bracelet
Craft Ideas for Adults with Learning Disabilities
Fresh Fruit Cakes Being PRepared
Party Food Ideas
🎉
🎄