Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Solutions for Over Processed Hair

I just received a Wave Nuevo and I had one previously with no problems, but I changed beauticians and my hair has been falling out every day. I don't know what she did to my hair and I don't know how long this is going to go on. My hair is so dry and brittle even after I placed the moisturizer on it. How can I stop my hair from falling out?

Eichelle

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Lilac [18]01/06/2010

Is your hair falling out or breaking off. If it is breaking off some professional conditioning will help. If it is indeed falling out then a skin specialist might be what you need. I like to pass on what my sister always said about her hair when she got a cut or color she did not like. She said "there is one thing about hair....it grows back". Then she cut it and started over.

By MSA2512/30/2009

I registered just to post a reply to you because I know you are probably freaking out! I know I would be. First thing is to take a deep breath. This will be ok :-) Call the beautician that put the Wave Nuevo in your hair and explain exactly what has happened, in as calm and non-accusatory a manner as possible (even if you are really ticked at her). She should at the very least be able to offer you some suggestions if not bring you in and give you some kind of treatment for free. I have a couple of ideas of products you could use, but without seeing your hair and knowing the condition, I would only recommend using the products below if a licensed beautician determines they would help. If you don't trust the one that over processed your hair, ask friends, family, even women with nice hair on the street for a referral.

A hard-core protein treatment such as Aphogee 2-step or Revlon Metalax may help stop the breakage in its tracks, but I sincerely suggest you talk to the stylist FIRST. I have used both with success personally, but not after experiencing an over-process. Aphogee and Metalax are strong proteins that could make your hair break off further if what you really need is moisture and not protein. In the meantime, try to baby your hair as much as possible- no heat, washing, excessive combing. I would also suggest doing research on www.longhaircareforum.com, it is a beauty website dedicated to women of color growing long healthy hair. You can search for free but must register and pay a small fee to post questions. I hope this helps.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Solutions for Over Processed Hair

I have damaged hair to begin with, but recently I went to a hair salon looking for aid and to hide some bad highlights on my auburn hair and the next thing you know is that they have turned my hair black. I was mortified.

In addition, I think the hair dresser didn't rinse properly, because my scalp was burning the next day and I still had brown on parts of my scalp. Now I have really over processed hair and no recourse considering I had already been battling the problem of damaged hair. Now my hair is like thin straw. I cried when I got home yesterday, because I thought the only way out was chopping it all off when I've been attempting to grow it long. Do I have to start all over?

Maura from Helotes

RE: Solutions for Over Processed Hair

Since you mentioned you have auburn hair, I would highly suggest purchasing some quality Henna and placing it on your over processed hair. I just did it last weekend and was pleased with the result. I purchased the henna from an internet site, because the local beauty stores have henna which is not pure and may cause further damage to already over processed hair.

Please go to hennaforhair.com and click on the "Henna for Hair" e-book to read all about it. It was very informative and I couldn't be happier with my results. I too had over processed hair from using hair coloring for 20 years. Now, all I will do is use henna. Hope this helps. (04/04/2008)

By guest

RE: Solutions for Over Processed Hair

I had a similar experience only a week ago, but have come out smiling. Please, do not attempt to fix this yourself. I did, and things got much worse.

This is by no means thrifty advice. If you are willing to pay quite a bit, you don't have to have it cut off. You can save your hair. Have them give your hair two or three treatments. Honestly, if it is really, really damaged, you may need at least two treatments in a row.

My hair had turned blue and was falling out in bunches when I had to be rescued by the salon. They rinsed the disastrous color out with a mixture of shampoo, bleach, and peroxide. That took all color out of my hair, and it was peroxide blond. I started to panic, because my hair felt like rubber, but the hairdresser told me it would all be OK.

He then put a toner in my hair using copper tones and then moved on to the treatments. He gave my hair three courses of (expensive), but amazing treatments.

My hair is now healthier than I can ever remember it being, and my natural color is back. Hope this gives you hope. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. (04/05/2008)

By Smileah

RE: Solutions for Over Processed Hair

First, go back to the salon as soon as possible and explain what happened. As a former cosmetologist, I can say that if the stylist has a conscience he or she will help at least fix some of the damage since they caused some of the damage.

See if you can work something out if they do not offer to fix your hair at no cost, such as coming in every 2 or 3 weeks, if they will add a reconstructor or conditioner to your service for free. It was wrong for the stylist to add more chemicals to your hair when you already had damage, they should have worked out a plan with you so you could get your hair back in shape before putting anything else on it. Did they do a patch test before they used color on your hair or have you sign a color release form? A patch test is performed at least a day before the actual service, putting color on your arm to watch for reactions. The sensations you had sound more like allergic reaction to the color than anything.

You say you have no recourse, but if there was no patch test or release form you actually may. Until your hair is healthier, no matter whether you decide to go back to a stylist right away or not, use only a high quality shampoo and conditioner for damaged or dry hair, and minimal styling aids. Treat it gently for now, and do not put anything else in your hair, including henna, which is natural, but also a cumulative color which could have a reaction with any treatments you may need to receive. Make sure you get a good trim, and get them regularly especially if you are trying to grow your hair. Sounds backward, but most of my clients had hair from mid-back to waist by the time I left cosmetology and they got regular trims. (04/05/2008)

By purrplekat

RE: Solutions for Over Processed Hair

If you have over processed hair the best products to use are the ones found in the "ethnic" or "black" hair care section. I personally prefer anything by Soft Sheen. Try a big jar of "Cholesterol" hair conditioner. It is under 2 bucks at WalMart. Wash your hair with an ethnic shampoo and then follow the directions on the jar of Cholesterol conditioner and your hair will soak it up and at least be manageable. Also try one of the oil sheen sprays, especially on your ends. It will look oily for an hour or so, but will soak right in. Good luck. (04/08/2008)

By peachhead

RE: Solutions for Over Processed Hair

Have you ever tried a mayonnaise mask for your hair? Take real mayo and spread it over your hair. Wrap your head in plastic wrap and keep it on for several hours. Wash it out or you might try just rinsing it out if your hair is so damaged. Your hair should be soft and much conditioned.
Good luck from Smoochie. (04/29/2008)

By metroplex

RE: Solutions for Over Processed Hair

Your hair is not only full of colour and colour damaged, it is also over processed. Do not use hair mayonnaise, because it is strictly protein and it will dry up your hair. Also, the hair will break more. Do not colour your hair again. If your hair is over processed, do you think that adding more colour will help? I think not.

Your hair is screaming out for moisture because it is dry and brittle. What you need to do is give it oil hair treatments as often as you can and use a light oil in your hair as a hairdressing. I've been in your situation before and trust me when I say I know how you feel, because it brought tears to my eyes. Also, knowing that I too was growing my hair. Most importantly don't forget to trim your ends, because split ends causes more breakage. (10/09/2008)

By Lissel