Buy and Freeze Sale Hams

Last month, the grocery store had a special on spiral sliced hams that were left from the holidays. They were still in date but not for long. They had been $1.79 lb and they were marked down. So I got a huge ham (12lbs) for $7.00. It was a great deal but there are only two of us and I didn't know what to do with all of it. I have frozen portions of cooked ham before, but they usually spoiled (turned brown) too quickly.

This time, I cut large hunks off the ham before I baked it. I got 4 portions and double wrapped them and put them in the freezer. I was left with a huge bone that still had a lot of meat left. I baked this part and It was plenty for three dinners and dog scraps too. Last night, I thawed out one of the frozen portions and served with frozen mashed potatoes and green beans. It tasted like it was fresh bought!

By Joyann from Visalia CA

Be very careful giving ham to your dog. My friend's dog ate it and died.

When I buy a ham, I freeze some of it in slices, to heat up for sandwiches or for breakfast/dinner. I freeze some of it in chunks for a pot of beans or for putting in casseroles or scalloped potatoes. I freeze the bone, for a later pot of beans. I really make the most of my ham, as I don't buy them unless on sale and usually after a holiday. My husband happened up on a ham sale after Christmas one year, each were only .50 a pound. My only complaint was he should have bought more than 1. He's learned now, to go ahead and buy more, they can always be cooked that night & packaged for the freezer. We've done this also with frozen chicken legs & thighs we happened to find for .39 a lb.--which is a steal in our area. I boiled them all that night & took them off the bones & packaged them to our liking (enough in each freezer bag to put in a casserole or make chicken salad with or BBQ sandwichs. Gotta watch for those sales!

When you freeze any kind of meat make sure you are using frezzer bags they are heafty. May cost more. but you can leave stuff longer in the freezer. And if your stuff is getting frezzer burn you need to date items you put in so you are using the oldest stuff first. And check the temp.

I also a deep freeze helps, I have a up-right one. So I rotate stuff up one shelf. then put new stuff on bottom. My fridge in the kitchen rotates right to left (you can do it eaiter way).I just do it that away because of the way mine opens. Another reason a deep freeze is good is the frezer on your fridge everyone goes in and out of it for ice and such.

Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingMarch 21, 2007
Garage Sale Sign in Front of House Having a Sale
Promoting Your Garage Sale
bacon in a package
Freezing Bacon
Furniture Being Sold at Estate Sale
Having an Estate Sale
garage sale
Preparing for a Garage Sale