Painting the Inside of a Lampshade

Is it safe, possible to paint the inside of a lampshade? I have a pair that I love, but the inside is very glossy and the glare they give off when lit is blinding.

By lampshady lady

Before doing any painting, I would lightly sand the inside of the shade first to make what is called a "tooth" so that the paint will adhere to the surface because it is glossy or slick. If done in both directions(ie up and down and side to side) that alone may be enough to cut the glare you are trying to get rid of. If not, use an appropriate kind of paint to paint the inside.By that I mean, if shade is plastic use a plastic paint, if paper use craft paint. Also be aware, painting the inside of the shade may cause the lamp to give out less light even with white or a light color being used.

How about decoupaging pretty tissue paper, wrapping paper or fabric to the inside of the shade. It is safe to use paper as long as your bulb is not too bright/hot. I've made shades from wall paper with out a problem. Good luck

All good ideas. Keep the bulb inside florescent, which means less energy bills and less heat.

If it's just too shiny and the colour is ok... I'd just sand it lightly to dull the shine.

Decorating LampShades to LookOutdoorsy
Decorating Lamp Shades
Home and Garden Repair Furniture LampsAugust 9, 2009
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
Lampshade
Repairing a Lampshade
🎉
🎄