Copperhead Snake in My House - Categories:

SnakesPest Control

Copperhead Snake in My House

I found a copperhead in my house yesterday. Saw it in the basement in the morning and came home to find it in my bathroom! I don't know if it was the same snake or one of a pair or more. I have 4 cats and all are good mousers - but I still killed a copperhead before I didn't get any sleep last night! The cats did alert me to something in the bathroom but they apparently hadn't deterred it. I bought moth balls and crystals to scatter. Will it make them leave if there are more still inside? I read on a site for pet snakes that cedar and pine shavings kill them when used for bedding. Should I throw that around, too?

Walnut

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

References to cedar killing snakes, rabbits, and other small caged pets is due to kidney and liver damage from long term exposure to phenols (what makes cedar smell good). This is a precaution to pet owners, not really a way to eliminate invaders, unless you want to wait a long time for them to die off.

Patti

http://www.snakeremoval.com/faq.html has some advice on this kind of thing.

Another place said that snakes don't have the same sensory mechanisms as we do so putting things around with particular odors is not going to deter them - but tidying gardens, sheds, basements etc. seems to be general advice for deterring them.

Good luck!

Gill

Oy vey, again with the mothballs. Keep them way from your pets. Camphor is poisonous to pets. It solidifies their livers!

Linne Dodds

Call a pet control agency or company and you may have to hire someone to come out and "fix" the problem by hunting the snakes down and killing them.

If you call your Fish and Game they should be able to come take care of it at no charge. I have also seen animal control and fire dept. help as well.

Copperheads are attracted to honeysuckle. Make sure there is none growing around your house or under it. Be careful killing these snakes yourself they are not only dangeroues but are an endangered species in some states and you could be fined for this. Best bet call Game and Fish!!!

If you have a snake in your house you can open a large brown paper bag (from the grocery store) and lay it down. 99.9 0/0 of the time the snake will go into it like going into a cave to protect itself for YOU. Also be careful- copperheads can spring forth 5 x's their length and leap at you.

Just call the local animal control and they should come out and fix the problem.

I live in a cedar log house and my son found a copperhead upstairs a week ago. Everything in my house is cedar- - floors, walls, ceilings, even the cupboards and cabinets. So I find it hard to believe that cedar shavings would work. I'm just praying it was just a one time incident, but can't help but be jumpy getting out of the bed in the middle of the night.

Indu is that you?

You could try to put down a bunch of those really sticky flat insect traps maybe the snake will go to it and get stuck on it so it's easy to locate. You'll also know how many you have they way too. and when you try to get him if he is stuck on it, he is a bit slowed down and easier to find.

The flat raps I'm talking about are about 6 by 6 inch in size, flat sticky cardboard in bright white color, great for mice catching too. Sold in any walmart or hardware store. do be careful they do lunge far. I was weed eating on a high bank that was eye level when my weed eater got to close to one's home. He lunged at me very fast and luckily the weed eater string got caught in around him so I just threw the weed eater as far out as i could and ran.

Also try pouring some type of powder that's not harmful, along some of your wall boards like baby powder or etc. Just to show you if you still have more in your home after you have got one.You will see his slither marks, tracks. I would call some type control, its your life your talking about. If you have brought your plants in from outside for the winter remember they can be in your potted plants.

Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesAugust 26, 2004
Black and White Eastern Kingsnake
Kingsnake Information and Photos
copperhead snake
What Kind of Snake is This?
Caring For a Pet Snake, Snake on a person's hand.
Caring For a Pet Snake
Copperhead Snake
Copperhead Snake Information and Photos
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 6:06:42 AM on 10.0.0.90 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.