Growing Cucumbers in Containers

I would like to plant cucumbers in a container. What kind of container should I use? Should it be big and tall like a 5 gallon bucket or short and small like a dish pan. I am growing the small cukes. Thank you.

By Carole

I think you could use either one. My neighbor has one of those whiskey barrels and she has a tomato in the center and cukes along the sides of it. She is hoping they will drape over the edge.

In general the more soil you are able to give a veggie plant, the healthier it will be. It is easier to keep large pots from drying out and there are more nutrients available. Remember, if the volume of 2 containers is the same, the one with more surface area will dry out quicker.

If you use the 5-gallon bucket, you can poke one of those wire tomato supports into the soil and train the cucumber up it.

Can you grow the cucumber in gallon milk jugs Hung on a fence line

Photo of a cumber on the vine.
Growing Cucumbers
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerJune 7, 2010
Selecting Good Cucumbers
Cucumbers on ice.
Freezing Cucumbers
Cucumber growing on plant
Choosing a Cucumber Variety
Cucumber Blooms
Cucumbers Turning Yellow