Home Remedy For Foot Calluses

Does anyone know of a natural remedy for a callous on the bottom of my foot? It is on my left foot, on the left side which makes it hard to reach. I tried soaking it in Epsom salts. Thank you.

By Pamela from Sun Lakes, AZ

The only thing I really know for you to try, is to soak in the tub or shower with your regular bath. Dry feet off well. You will have to buy one of those 'ped egg' type things---Walmart has several from other companies that work the same. One layer has a metal file, and one has a pumice stone. Rub the callous well, being careful not to get too vigorous---you don't want to cut yourself and cause an infection. Then cover with a good layer of petroleum jelly, a sandwich baggie, and an old sock. Sleep with that on several nights a week, and it should help a lot.

What works for me is, I soak my feet while in the tub (or in a small tub while watching TV) for about half an hour. I then scrape the clean & softened callus with either my fingernails or the edge of a spoon or a pumice (from the dollar store)... After you get the topmost softened area off, then re-soak in hot water for another half hour & do this again & again until it's all gone.

It's the hot soapy water that does the trick & to stop getting calluses, scrape the area every time you shower. If you can't easily reach it, try using a spoon-edge or if you have a partner have them do it for you. I've found that those pumice stones attached to a plastic handle from the dollar store also works well on both dry AND wet calluses. They also carry little files that look like tiny cheese graters at dollar stores. They work well & you can't go wrong for a buck! Please use care with any type of file!

I am retired now but owned a salon with a partner. We were an Aveda Concept Salon. Anyway, Aveda has a product called 'Active Composition Oil' and it's excellent for anything from sloughing off callouses, softening cuticles for a manicure, relieving sore muscles, a dab for pimples, a couple drops massaged in for oily scalp before shampooing and adding two or three drops to bath water to invigorate the senses.

It's seems expensive at about $20.00 for a 2 ounce bottle but I will tell you that I still have 1 ounce remaining (still potent and fresh) after two plus years and I use it for all of the above! Well, at 55 I no longer get pimples or have an oily scalp but it worked when I did and worked for clients ;-)

In the summer I get foot callouses really bad so I soak my feet in warm soapy water, pat dry, apply/rub on just a few drops of Active oil, sit back and relax for about ten to fifteen minutes, wash again with warm soapy water, pat dry again and immediately use one of the paddle pumice scrapers. (and as a previous poster said, do be careful to not scrape so hard that you take more than the calloused skin off). If you do this once or twice a week your feet will feel like a baby's bottom ;-)

Aveda is one of only a couple world wide companies who manufacturer completely natural, sustainable products and Aveda sources from around the world with indigenous peoples for locally organically grown ingredients instead of chemically synthesized/altered ingredients.

I had this last week only my callouses had cracks in them. I happened to come across a green tin called Bag Balm. It's originally used to help keep a cow's teats soft but believe me it works on humans also. I've had cracks in my fingers in the winter and this takes care of them. I put some of this salve on my feet just as I get into bed and the next morning my feet have no more cracks that hurt. It takes a couple of nights to really soften the callouses but it's great. You can find this in a farm supply store like Tractor Supply. It's just great. Sometimes the old fashioned ways are best!

One more post ;-) I have a cousin who uses bag balm and he loves it for daily use for soothing his skin and keeping dryness at bay but it does not remove the callouses so he uses the Active oil and pumice paddle once a week.

You don't need to go to a farm supply to purchase bag balm because you can buy it at most pharmacies, some super size stores like Wal-Mart and online.

As a diabetic, I have to take special care of my feet. I bought a "stone" at the pharmacy that is slightly less coarse than pumice. Every morning I just rub it on the places where calluses form on my feet, and then apply a store-brand deep moisturizing cream and then my socks. Most of the foot creams are very expensive (to me, anyway), so I came up with the stone, instead. It's safer to use than the pads, rasps or files out there. As someone posted before me, you can remove too much skin and that just opens up another whole box of aggravation.

In the summer, I try to go barefoot outdoors as much as possible, which naturally removes the calluses. Of course I have to pay attention to where I'm walking, but the lawn and driveway are pretty safe and it's nice to feel the cool grass under my feet. Good luck!

Calluses on Feet
Home Remedies for Foot Calluses
Health & Beauty Home RemediesMay 22, 2009
Hands massaging a sugar scrub into feet
Strawberry Foot Exfoliant
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder