Wall Pocket Decorations

contest winner icon

These are wall pockets made from tin cans. These are the large sized cans that schools and such use.

Tops and bottoms are cut from the can, then I step on one end to flatten it together. The I drill 5 holes across the the bottom, through both layers and "sew" with light weight wire. Once that's done, it's time for the fun part. These I decoupaged with fabric and added some odd dangle pieces that I had in my craft room. Drilled 2 small holes on the top back for wire to hang them up by :0)

By Maggie from Bloomington, MN

these are adorable and very ingenius[0:

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

This such a good idea!!! Will have to try my own variation.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

How do you decoupage the fabric onto the can? Do you use ModPodge?

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Those are great! I was doing a similar project this week with small soup cans & not flattening the bottom -- I have nails in one with a nail but the others are on hold for now :)

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Yep, I use ModPodge...some of the tins I have used fabric, some, like the pears, I used wall paper boarder. After they have dried overnight, I spray them with clear spray paint from Wal Mart (about a $1 a can).These have lasted 4+ years :0) You can also spray paint them any color you like after smashing them..I left these just plain metal.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

I've also made these with small cans and put a bead of hot glue along the "seam" in the bottom and hang them in the trees and bushes with bird seed in them :0)

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Thanks for the great idea!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

What a good idea, maybe make some for each holiday

Audrey

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for it.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

These would be awesome with those big popcorn tins and you wouldn't have to decorate them afterwards!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

WOW! I never thought of the popcorn tins! What a great use for something that's cute, but you can never think of what to do with them afterwards! They would be big, but hung in the right place, they'ed be darling! Thanks!

Maggie in Bloomington, MN

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Really clever and pretty. What do you mean by 'clear spray paint'? Do you mean spray varnish??

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

I live in Greece where we eat lots of Feta cheese; I wonder if I could use the large tins that Feta comes in?? The supermarket on my street throws them out regularly so perhaps I will give it a try. These certainly are creative! Thanks so much for sharing with us. Lisa

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Wonderful piece, thank you for the idea they came out beautiful.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

WalMart here in the states sells off brand spray paint in many colors, one of which is clear :0) Works the same as a varnish would, but here it is only $1 a can :0)

Maggie in Bloomington, MN

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

These are very nice. I hadn't thought of decoupaging them. I'll have to give it a try. In the past I've either left them the way they are (too pretty to cover) or I have hand painted them, as well as adding beads and baubles off the bottom. The large popcorn tins with Christmas/Winter designs I have put silk flower arrangements in them and given them as gifts. They were very well received. The ones I have planted in, I have used a small disposable diaper (unused ... yes people have actually asked that question LOL) in the bottom to help hold the soil and moisture in. Otherwise they dry out really quickly.

Nice to see others using recyclables in there crafting projects!

Joyce

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

How cute!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Very cute, how long do they hold up before they rust out?

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Tin Can Man Being Constructed
Crafts Using Tin Cans
Crafts Recycled CraftsNovember 20, 2007
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
Made from tin cans of various sizes.
Making a Recycled Tin Man
Tin can lantern illuminated with a candle.
Making a Tin Punch Lantern
Pocket Calendar
Uses for Pocket Calendars
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 5:26:22 PM on 10.0.0.67 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.