How Safe is Downloading Antivirus Software Trial Packs?

How do I download a trial pack for antivirus software? Is it useful and safe to do this?

By Chandrashekhar

It's safe if downloaded from a reputable company but there is a lot of bad stuff out there. I would go to a reputable site like, microsoft or pcworld and download a free antivirus before jumping from brand to brand trials. PC world will have an article about free security programs and which offer the best protection.

Microsoft's free antivirus program has been getting better every year and now offers better protection than many paid for programs.

Zoodad is right. There are many reputable sites you can download from. Don't download any that approach you. Find your own. Go to a computer store and find a brand that appeals to you and then find their website. Most will list it on the package. The major ones sell the disks and you can also buy it by downloading.

Two good antivirus programs that are free:

Microsoft Security Essentials and

You can Google them.

They do the job and won't cost you anything..

I usually get my security downloads from Cnet or I have never paid for software to protect my computer. There are so many good free downloads available.

There are many excellent free software downloads out there. As the open-source world is expanding, there's going to be even more.

However, you need to be Internet savvy. The bad guys are very good at making their software look "real." And keep in mind that many companies pay people to write reviews for a product. So if there is a product with just one review, and that review is the only review that that person did, chances are it was paid for. (Not the rule, but higher probability.) Also, many people get paid commission to sell a program, so part of the sales strategy is to promote the item in reviews.

I would recommend going to ( or PC World, or other reputable site, and read the reviews before you download. For antivirus programs, AVG and Avast are two of the best. (I've been using Avast for years on many computers and love it! But I'm pretty sure AVG is the most used one.) Once you have a virus protection program, you can scan a download before it goes to your computer.

Also, keep in mind that most programs when you click "download" give you the option to "run" or "save." It is almost always better to save the file first (It's a setup file), then scan it, then run it as "customized." When you don't choose customized setup if it's offered, that's when programs can add on extra toolbars and programs and files and links you don't need. Also, you'll have the ability to manipulate what directory programs go into. A lot of people get junk on the computer from just choosing the "run" option. (Personally, I like to save the setup file in case I need to reinstall it at a later time or on another computer.)

I am a download junkie. There is so much free awesome stuff out there. is another download site I like. But I think the safest best place to start is which is now Cnet I think.

Have fun!

Anti Virus Software Search
Anti Virus Software Information and Reviews
Computers SoftwareMay 24, 2011
Computer Browser
Troubleshooting Computer Software
family playing video games
Downloading Game Software