Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Kool-aid Stains from Clothing

How do you get red Kool-Aid stain out of a white shirt?

By beanersbabes from Millersburg, OH

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By mary S12/12/2010

My daughter spilled red koolaid all over her new white shirt today. I threw it in the sink with hot water and baking soda. The stain came right out.

By Kevin08/15/2009

Boiling water worked great on my white shirt! Wow! Thank you so much (it was brand new)!

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]07/16/2009

Mixture of peroxide and water or try a generic brand Oxi-Clean which can be purchased from the dollar stores.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Kool-aid Stains from Clothing

Does anyone know how to get red kool-aid out of kids clothes? I even called the company and they have no idea. This is a powder drink that you can add your own amount of sugar and water to make freeze pops or juice for the summertime.

It is an inexpensive drink for the summer; but be careful what clothes they wear or use sipper cups for the small children. I have lost many tops because of the kool-aid stains. Any ideas? Please post and I'll be glad to try. Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post.

Cecilia from Delaware

RE: Removing Kool-aid Stains from Clothing

I've never gotten red out, but you have two choices.

1. Dye the whole garment using red kool-aid to match the stains (don't laugh, it makes an awesome dye. And as you have seen, never comes out!).

2. Buy the new kind of Kool-Aid that is clear but still has the flavor.

Have fun with it. (05/22/2008)

By irtoodvs4u

Peroxide? Shame on that company, they should know! (05/23/2008)

By kimhis

Try pouring boiling water on the stain. I read this somewhere and it really works on most berry or red stains. My daughter came home today with red Kool-aid down a brand new shirt and it came right out. (06/04/2008)

By Shari

I just used hand soap and cold water followed by peroxide. There was still a little color left and I used boiling water as suggested by someone here and the rest of the stain was gone. This was on a bright yellow t-shirt and it didn't hurt the shirt color at all. (08/09/2008)

By DEborah

My daughter came home with a red Kool-aid stain on a new school shirt of hers and school has not even started yet. I tried pouring the boiling hot water on the inside of the stain to push the stain out. I am completely amazed. I have never seen a Kool-aid stain come out like that. After pouring the hot water on it, I laundered as directed. You can't even tell that there was a stain there. Thanks Shari! (08/11/2008)

By Nicole

Aspirin works pretty good. Drop 1 in the load and no stain! (11/24/2008)

By Brittany H.

Thank you so much! The boiling water trick worked for me too and saved a very expensive sweater. (12/03/2008)

By Laura