Halloween Costume: Hungarian Girl

My granddaughter needed a Hungarian outfit for her heritage presentation at school. Thrift store here I come. I used a Hungarian doll my mother-in-law gave to my daughter when she was about 6 as a pattern for the design.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

• ribbon for trim
  • white cotton fabric
  • elastic
  • interfacing
  • sewing machine
  • iron

Instructions:

I bought the long sleeved blouse and vest at Salvation Army. I was so lucky to find it. The Hungarian often have embroidery on their doilies and clothing. This one did too. It was red satin. Perfect match for what I needed.

I used white fabric I had and made a gathered skirt with elastic waist. I sewed ribbon trim to the bottom. I sewed ribbon trim to the sleeves of the blouse.

I free hand drew the shape of the hat. I put interfacing on the inside for strength. I made it out of red satin. I added ribbons for trim and streamers in the back. I also put elastic in the back where the 2 ends come together for adjustment of size.

I was so lucky to have all the items I needed for sewing this outfit. I always save leftovers and now I know why. Thanks again to my handy dandy sewing machine.

She also used it for the Halloween costume that next Halloween. It was recycled again.

By Little Suzy from OH