Halloween Costume: Hungarian Girl

My granddaughter needed a Hungarian outfit for her heritage presentation at school. Thrift store here I come. I used a Hungarian doll my mother-in-law gave to my daughter when she was about 6 as a pattern for the design.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

• ribbon for trim
  • white cotton fabric
  • elastic
  • interfacing
  • sewing machine
  • iron

Instructions:

I bought the long sleeved blouse and vest at Salvation Army. I was so lucky to find it. The Hungarian often have embroidery on their doilies and clothing. This one did too. It was red satin. Perfect match for what I needed.

I used white fabric I had and made a gathered skirt with elastic waist. I sewed ribbon trim to the bottom. I sewed ribbon trim to the sleeves of the blouse.

I free hand drew the shape of the hat. I put interfacing on the inside for strength. I made it out of red satin. I added ribbons for trim and streamers in the back. I also put elastic in the back where the 2 ends come together for adjustment of size.

I was so lucky to have all the items I needed for sewing this outfit. I always save leftovers and now I know why. Thanks again to my handy dandy sewing machine.

She also used it for the Halloween costume that next Halloween. It was recycled again.

By Little Suzy from OH

Hungarian Girl
Making a Hungarian Heritage Day Costume
Crafts Halloween CostumesOctober 28, 2010
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Phantom Of The Opera Costume
Making a Batgirl Costume
Making a Dutch Girl Costume
Girl Dressed as a Nurse
Making a Nurse Costume
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 7:41:37 AM on 10.0.2.225 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.