BehaviorToddler and Preschooler

Toddler Bangs Head During Tantrum

How can I get my 2yr old to not bang his head when he has a tantrum?

lovelife from Florida

When my 32 year old son did this I put him in his playpen in the middle of his room with nothing in it but him. Nothing to bang his head against. I would partially close the door and tell him when he was done and ready to be sorry just let me know and I will get you right away. He got it pretty quick because he didn't want to be in the playpen. Pack and play works for this for today family.

The best thing you can do is get your child to a place where he cannot hurt himself. I know that is easier said than done from personal experience. If he is lying on the floor tantruming try to slip a towel under his head.

I do not want to alarm you, but please do consult your doctor about this if he does it frequently. There are several medical conditions where children do this. However, it could just be tiredness and frustration.

As I have said to my husband 100 times, "There is no reasoning with a 2 yr old!"

Good luck.

http://www.savi  ri.blogspot.com/

When my very good friend was about that age she did that (so we were told) and after a trip to the dr. with lumps on her head (she banged her forehead on concrete!) the dr. told her mother to stop paying attention to the tantrums and just go away and leave her. He said when she sees it's not upsetting anybody but IS hurting her she'll stop. Her mother said she only performed one more tantrum. Might work for you.

My son used to throw his whole body back and often bang his head when he was having a tantrum. He figured it out eventually that this was not a good thing to do as it only hurt him. He grew out of it...WHEW. I think he was relying on me to catch him before he hit the floor. He never got hurt beyond a little lump and the more I didn't bother me the less he did it. He was a smart kid who knew how to push my buttons. Nothing hurts more than your kid being hurt, and they know that. If your child needs some special care then you should definitely consult a specialist. I don't fully know your situation. All I know is that my son did that and now he is at the top of his class(he can figure things out) Good luck to you and stay strong.

Actually the best thing to do for a tantrum is to ignore it. I would, however, as the doctor, to make a chart note just in case he does get a bruise.

Walk away & ignore the tantrum.

My son was watching my horrified reaction when he did this. Once I started walking away and not giving him the reward of my expression, it stopped. Takes a few lumps and bumps and it is hard to do, but it will stop, and they will move on to something else that is a problem :)

My oldest son did it when he was just under two. I tried to ignore him. I know it is hard. A friend of mine said she put her sonin a cold shower...only had to do it three times. I thought that too cruel....takes longer when you just ignore and you have to convince hubby to too:) You might try joining Mamasource.com It is a great place for support of parents.

Harriet

I agree with the other posts. I am 41 and used to be a head banger. My mum was a single parent and worked full time. During the school holidays, I would go to my aunt's farm. I loved the farm, but when I got home, I used to head bang and through huge tantrums (yes at 8), because I wanted to punish mum for sending me away. My mum used to try everything to get me to stop, lollies, extra cuddles etc. This made it worse, as I knew I would push her buttons. My grandmother soon wised my mum up to ignoring me and saying - well it is your head. I only tried it several more times and soon wised up. My kids tried the same thing and I used to pick them up and put them in the empty play pen. But a word of warning. My friend's child did the head banging thing and she tried ignoring him but he continued to do it - he ended up with a cut head and taken to the hospital. He was diagnosed with ADHD. So if in doubt, get your child checked by a doctor if the behaviour doesn't stop after a week of being ignored. As a laugh, my 18 month daughter through a tantrum at the supermarket in the freezer isle. She wanted grandma to by some icy pops. Grandma said no and madam was able to stand on the ledge (used to make it easier for shorter people to be able to bend over and get things out of the freezer) and climb into the freezer. Grandma decided to retrieve her and bent over the freezer, however grandma lost her balance and went head first into the freezer. I couldn't stop laughing with grandma with her legs in the air, kicking away to get down again. She gave a lovely knicker display to passing shoppers. With my help and that of any other man, we were able to retrieve both daughter and grandma from the freezer. My mum's first words were - see you should always wear good underwear just in case you get caught out. My daughter thought the whole incident was very funny but she never demanded anything from grandma again. She was too scared that grandma would flash her undies again - something we had told Miss 18 months was not a nice thing to do. She didn't like grandma's undies - as they are the big baggy - pantaloon style ones.

Try taping him on a video recorder and playing it back for him to see. I have done this with all sorts of temper fits and it seems once they see how silly they look to the rest of the world common sense kicks in and it stops. I have also voice recorded childrens on going crying to be crying episodes at a much earlier age and played it back to them. As soon as they heard a baby cry they stop to listen and forget what ever cause the crying fit to start with.

I have one that did this when he was little. But he did it until he was in kindergarten. My mom was afraid that he might hurt something--not himself but her coffee table or the glass storm door. She jerked him up and asked him if he was mad, real mad. He said yes, and she said good we need a walk then. She ended up walking him through the house and he forgot what he was mad about. This worked over and over and now at age 8, when he gets mad, he will go take a walk around the house until he calms down. The other suggestions are good ones too. It's not as entertaining when they have no one to entertain!! Good luck!