Warning: Don't Reuse Coffee Grounds Day After Day

Caution: This is a "what not to do" with food tip!

Most of the time, I can assure you that I have a positive connection to food and would never diss' any of it. This article is no exception, but I just had to warn you all about something I just discovered.

I am staying with some friends, helping out with an MS patient for my "keep". I don't have to buy much in the way of food, which I am grateful for. That includes the morning coffee.

However, I am sick right now and I finally figured out why.

The host told me how me makes the coffee in the morning and I just had my last cup.

Say today is day one, he pours in the water from the tap, adds the amount of coffee for the water, then brews it. Tomorrow, he would take the coffee left over, plus what he didn't drink from his thermos, and add enough fresh water to make it a pot, then scoop some more coffee onto the used grounds from yesterday. The third day, he would do the same.

No wonder I am sick.

If you know this is happening, I advise two things. First off, invest in your own coffee maker and enjoy a fresh, clean, and perfect cup in the morning. If that's not an option, invest in the coffee bags that are like big tea bags. They are very good, only cost $.19 each, and you don't even need a coffee maker.

Either way, protect your poor tummy like I will from now on.

Hope this helps,

Sandi/Poor But Proud

By Poor But Proud from Sweet Home, OR

Did anybody else that drinks the coffee get sick? If not, maybe you just picked up a bug of some kind.

That sounds gross!

It's more than likely the tummy bug was caused by the coffee machine itself not being cleaned regularly with vinegar. I can't understand why they run the left over coffee through the machine again instead of reheating it in the microwave?

Good Points All: However, let us just say that the other people in the house who drank and still drink the coffee um, well, us the potty more than I do. Yeah, I am feeling much better now!

PBP

I am so sorry you got sick. Coffee can grow mold when left in the pot. Fresh is the best.

Oh come on, it just makes the taste better as it ages! LOL! I agree, it's the coffee maker never being cleaned & the grounds sitting out to get moldy that's making you sick. If they put the ground in the fridge or freezer, it wouldn't go bad-still gross though! I'm so sorry you got sick, they probably didn't because they have cast-iron stomachs by now!

I've mentioned this before, but tradition used to be that you never washed your teapot with soap, you just rinsed it. If you looked in your Grandma's teapot it'd have a thick, black layer. Apparently this extended to iced tea as well, cause when my Grandma passed away & we were cleaning her house out, we were all drinking the iced tea.When the jar was empty, I was going to make more & discovered thick,slimy black sludge in the bottom & a thick black coating on the jar, we all had thought it was a brown jar! I asked Grandpa how old the tea was & why the jar was so dirty & he said my Grandma had never, ever washed that tea jar in all the years she'd had it! No wonder I got sick when I'd go visit!

We don't pour the left over coffee over the used grounds-we reheat in the microwave. But we do put new grounds on top of the old ones. We do this for one or two days and have been doing it for years now and never got sick, nor anyone else from outside of the house has gotten sick. This is just a way to save on coffee filters, and every little bit helps. We do, however, run vinegar through the system at least once a week to keep everything flowing.

Yuk, for flavors, that sounds horrible.

Coincidentally, I was googling just now to determine if re-using yesterday's grounds would lead to food borne illness. I don't think mold would wreak havoc, but wondered if bacterial pathogens would be a problem. I have been reusing my Melita filter (one cup) grounds for two or sometimes 3 days, adding fresh grounds, to extend my coffee.

I did have gastroenteritis from some unknown cause and am trying to analyze what made me ill. If lots of people are reusing grounds and only a few become ill, then it would seem not to be coffee reuse. However, I'm not taking any chances and will only deposit my used grounds in the compost from now on. Food borne illness is a terrible experience. I'd still like to know if pathogens grown in a coffee ground medium.

My father and brother use coffee grinds up to 4 to 6 times and many times from one day to the next. I sleep in the attic which has no door and also on a cpap and every morning the smell of the reused coffee wakes me up because it smells foul.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food SafetyOctober 12, 2010
ground coffee
Uses for Coffee Grounds
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Beans
Cleaning With Coffee
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
🎄