Deposit Allowance in a Real Bank Account

I have 4 young kids that each have a piggy bank for collecting coins and putting their allowance in. When the banks are full we take them to the bank and deposit them in their accounts, usually around twice a year. When there is an extra chore to be done, I will give them a quarter or 50 cents to do it and that also goes in the bank. When they get their allowance it is also in coins, and I was finding that I kept having to go to the bank to get change to pay them their allowance and for the chores.

I finally figured out that when the banks are full, we count out the coins and I write each child a check for the amount they have in their piggy bank and we deposit that in their real bank account. Then I keep all the coins that they had in the piggy banks to pay them for chores and allowance for the next 6 months or so. It works great and they have gained so much from having their own money to spend at Christmas, at yard sales and when they want to save up for something. This way it's just a little easier on me to keep a good thing going.

By Miss Jen from Provo, UT

Teaching Children to Save Money, Child Saving Money
Teaching Children to Save Money
Parenting General Parenting Family FinancesNovember 26, 2007
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
Safety Deposit Box
Using a Safety Deposit Box
Overdrawn bank account.
Dealing With an Overdrawn Bank Account
Banki ATM machine.
Banks With No Minimum Balance Requirement