Moldy Smell on Clothes

How do I get a mold smell out of our clothes?

By Kellysam69 from Sanford, FL

You wash them with vinegar in the rinse cycle. Some people use vinegar instead of detergent but I use regular detergent then vinegar for the rinse. Drying in the sun or just outside if there's no sun helps.

Other than thoroughly washing/drying your clothes.....

You can get "Damp Rid", at any grocery/hardware store in your area. It helps collect moisture, and they are not very expensive. Just hang it in the closet, and when the bag is full you just throw it away. It does leave a scent, which some may or may not like. I purchased some for under $5.

Or you may want to invest in a de-humidifer.

Sam's Club and some Walmarts carry a product called Odoban. I love this stuff; multiple uses and works wonders. For laundry add some to wash load and rinse if smell is very bad. You can even soak clothes for a bit too. I also used this product a couple times when I had water leaks in my carpeted basement (was on vacation one time and basement sat for couple days before we got home). Use in carpet cleaner and followed by leaving a fan on for a week to make sure the carpet dried even underneath and never had a funky smell after in my basement! Awesome stuff I always keep it on hand!

Depends on how they got moldy in the first place. If you left in the washer too long, simply wash again using borax detergent.

If they have actual mold stains on the clothes, then you might consider throwing them away.

There is nothing worse than moldy smelling clothes! Once you put them on your body and your body heat warms them up then they REALLY start to smell. Gives me a headache just thinking about it! (mold is one of my major ashtma/allergy triggers)

Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingApril 8, 2009
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
paper money clothes pinned on line to dry
Cleaning Moldy Smelling Dollar Bills
Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes
Removing Mildew Smell from Clothes
Smelling clothing in the washing machine.
Clothes Smell Bad After Washing