Does Table Waste in Compost Attract Animals?

If using table waste in the compost pile does it attract animals to feed from it? I am concerned that table waste will attract mice, rats, raccoons, etc. If so it seems that this would give the critters access to the vegetables in the garden as well.

Stephen from Kansas

I compost a lot at home and use all table waste with the exception of meat, fat or dairy. In fact, my family, kids and husband, all are now used to putting the "waste" into the compost container instead of the garbage disposal or trash can. I haven't had a problem with critters. Maybe because I always cover my table waste with a thick layer of soil or compost that has ripened. If it's covered well, critters will usually not bother. Hope this helps!

I've never had any problems with critters or creatures disturbing my compost and I use all kinds of kitchen food scraps. I never compost meat or bones.

Just be sure to cover each new addition of table scraps with the other composted materials or some dirt. That ensures that there won't be any odor.

My compost bin is located not far from my back door and I've never had any problems with odors or critters.

Good luck with your composting efforts! It's very worthwhile and makes a fantasticly rich addition to veggie garden soil.

If you are really worried about "critters" take a storage bin (any size - from W-M or home store)and poke some holes around the bottom, sides, and top and use it for your compost. Just turn the thing over (and side to side) often. I have a wire cage I use and have never had critters bother it. Can't convince my husband though!

I've composted for several years and have had no problem...I compost egg shells, coffee grounds, veg peelings, even some cooked veges, peanut shells, weeds, leaves, grass clippings, etc...but I do not compost anything that is meat, fats, bones, or animal poo...I make a thin layer of scraps and cover it with a layer of shredded newspaper, junk mail, etc...I mix it in some too.....I keep a paper shredder in our back garage so it is need a mix of greens/wet stuff (weeds, vege scraps, grass clippings) along with dry/browns (leaves, shredded paper)..and they need to be mixed some...I put the layer of shredded newspaper on and leave it till I start to put in greens again...then I mix it, put in the greens and cover it with shredded newspaper or dry leaves again....

My dad, who lives in a subdivision, has a terrible problem with rats, racoons, etc. invading his compost pile. And they are NOT SHY either. He put out traps and rat poison

Thanks to all who responded to my concern. It seems that if done right critter problems are few. I will give it a go and see how things turn out. Thank you everyone.

Compost Pile
Starting a Compost Pile
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJune 5, 2008
House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Compost Bucket Ideas
Compost Bucket Ideas
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
Stuffed Easter Bunny
Refurbishing Stuffed Animals