Removing Paint from 100% Polyurethane Jacket

By Linda Fields 1

I just received a beautiful black hip length jacket made of Polyurethane. I tried it on and it looks killer on me if I do say so myself! That's when I noticed on the left shoulder a thin vertical line of silver metallic paint about 1/4" to 1/2" in width and about 1 1/2" long. Also there's another 2" long, 1/4" wide streak directly down from the shoulder!

Do any of you have any ideas on how I might be able to clean this and remove the metallic paint? The outer shell of the jacket is made of 100% polyurethane and the INSTRUCTIONS FOR CLEANING on the inside tag read: CLEAN WITH DAMP SPONGE, WIPE DRY, DO NOT DRY CLEAN, DO NOT IRON.

This has got me severely stumped! Any suggestions? I'd be forever grateful. Thank you so very much.

Showing: Answers Sort

By LuvMyGingerKids 46 316 Flag

Take the jacket to the cleaners and have them look at it. They might not be able to do anything for you, but it can't hurt. If this is the case, perhaps you can be creative with ribbon or trim?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Marge Mayhew 3 149 Flag

Could you just mark over the silver lines with a black "Sharpie" permanent marker? I'd try just a dot on the end of a silver mark to see if it would possibly cover it up. If it seems like it would work I'd carefully just cover the silver lines and not get ink on the adjacent material.It might need two "coats". Good Luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kat 7 219 Flag

You could try a tiny bit of acetone nail polish remover on a q tip. BEFORE you try it on the paint, try it on an inner hem to be sure it doesn't alter the fabric itself. If it remains unchanged, do a tiny amount at a time, only adding more remover as needed to do the job. Change q tips frequently. After you are done clean the areas with mild soap on a damp sponge to remove any residue. Not much to lose at this point, unless you would wear it with the paint on it if you cannot get it out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Photo of a man painting his house.
Removing Paint Stains from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsFebruary 25, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Photo of a man painting his house.
Removing Paint Stains from Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:04:13 PM on 10.0.0.50 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings