Bedroom Paint Color Advice

Okay, I'm 15 and my room needs a serious make-over. My bed has a black head and foot board. My favorite colors are onyx black, crimson red, and midnight blue. I wanted to paint my whole room black, but you know moms. Anyway, she said I can have one base wall black, but I don't know how to go from there. And yes I'm goth. I need some serious help. Please and thank you!

By Sarah from Petersburg, VA

My daughter (19 now) is also into the goth look and when she did her bedroom, we also compromised! She ended up with a deep, dark gray on 3 walls and black on the fourth. She then used blood red as an accent color (pillows on her bed), little pottery jars, etc. Perhaps you could do the same thing by also using midnight blue in accessories for your room.

In addition to all black walls making the room very dark and difficult to light, it's hard to paint over. I'd try white or a very pale green or blue (blue must be in the same blue family as midnight, just lighter) for the other three walls. Curtains/drapes, gothic artwork on the walls, pillows and all accessories could be black, red or midnight blue. It could be very dramatic! I think the lighter-colored walls would give the room a more spacious feeling while retaining the drama of the dark colors. Other wall decorations on the lighter walls could include one or more gothic outfits or articles of clothing on decorative hangers, gothic posters, long strings of beads (black, red, midnight...), a couple of huge black butterflies with red/blue on wings. Good luck with your project!

--sarsi

Remember that black lace is relatively cheap, easy to install and easier to remove. Don't count out your mom's advice and reservation dear. She recognizes your desires but she also knows you probably won't be goth forever. If you go with one black wall, then a blue you two can agree on, then black lace over those walls, you can both be happy.

Here are some google sites to help.

Good luck!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en& ... ypQKJTKG5GZHaNom7mP8BAAAAqgQFT9DmdLs

I was going to suggest using fabric but I love Poor But Proud's idea even better! Both black and red paint are horrid to try to paint over even with using a coat or two of primer so please be kind to your mom and color the walls with fabric of some sort instead. Also, you can use the fabric or lace again for another project. ;-)

A foster mom told me this idea years ago and it has always stuck with me (she wasn't my foster mom but a friend), to allow each of the children their own space and allow them to express themselves she did one of two things; one was use cloth to cover walls and such in the colors the children loved, and the other was either make or build a large box (imagine footlocker type) and allow them to decorate it in any color or fashion (within reason) they so chose, and they could then also have throw pillows on their beds to match the rest of the room.

So instead of the black walls, maybe get some fabric (you can buy those light weight gauze type curtains pretty cheap) and if they don't come in your color, try dyeing) and then getting a footlocker for the foot of your bed (you can add a pillow or pillows to it to make a bench) and use lots of other pillows to accent the colors. Then no one will notice the light color walls, she might even let you have all 4 walls if you use fabric. (Curtain rods make great hangers along the walls too.)

Hope that helps and remember, one of these days. You may decide to change from the goth look.

One black wall and 3 cream walls would look good with lots of silver and/or gold accessories on them. You can get gold and silver paint to customize picture and mirror frames. You could then have just a few red accents, a vase ? a cushion ? a mobile hanging from the ceiling ?

Instead of painting the walls hang a black sheet, this way you can add anything to it without damaging the walls. Try pleating it before you hang it, this will make the room cozy. Add silver to your black, this will lighten things up a little. If you are allowed to paint things like a lamp, or a desk chair, paint them silver and add red or blue designs on them. Cover your dresser with a black sheet, paint anything on it you like.

Remember to stick with one highlight color, either red or blue. Add your red or blue highlight color all around the room so your eye travels around the room. Another thing you can do with the black sheets is draw on them with bleach and a paint brush, try this on a small piece of fabric as the bleach will bleed (use a small brush). Cover or paint your lamp shade, again put some kind of design on it so the light will shine through. Hang silver chains on the edge of the lamp shade, or silver yarn. Silver ribbon put around the edge of the lamp shade. Try finding silver or black contact paper and trim your mirror. Cover your bed with a black sheet add silver ribbon, make some pillow cover with silver material add red or blue ribbon.

Ask your mom first before trying any of these suggestions. I don't want you to get in trouble. Good luck!

October 17, 2011 Flag

I have mahogany colored cherry wood furniture. What would be a good color to paint my walls in this room? Thank yo.u

By Terri

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would stay in the warm family of colors range. Perhaps peach, apricot or a copper color?

When in doubt it is always green for me. Nature tells us that green goes with everything, green grass, green trees, green leaves, etc. Of course you have to choose between the different shades of green that you want.

Karen in Salem beautiful Oregon

September 7, 2010 Flag

What wall color goes best with oak furniture? (It's a bedroom.)

By Dee from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Bedroom Paint Color Advice

Any natural wood is a neutral, so basically any color you want to use will work. (07/06/2010)

By redhatterb

Bedroom Paint Color Advice

Hello Dee,
There is a website called Colorjive (www.colorjive.com) that you can go to, upload a picture of your room, and you can do a virtual paint job on the room. It's free, and you can experiment with colors and trims, and it's pretty easy to do. We used this to find the perfect paint color for our home (outside). There is also www.valspar.com where they have examples of rooms with different looks; modern, traditional, cottage etc. You can click on examples and see what would look good with your furniture or even get some new ideas.

Hope that helps! Patti. (07/07/2010)

By patioelf

Bedroom Paint Color Advice

My master bedroom is dark oak, and since I live in a very old cottage, I couldn't go too modern. I found the best color -for me, was darkish rose pink carpets and curtains with a touch of cream and cream colored walls. Accessorizing with those colors, especially the cream, was easy. (07/09/2010)

By cett

July 6, 2010 Flag

I am purchasing a mahogany master bedroom set and would like to paint the walls first. The carpet is a light beige. The room is huge and the ceiling is sort of barnlike and high. Do you paint the ceiling the same color? What color would be best for a soothing, tranquil room?

By Chris from Danbury, CT

Answers:

Bedroom Paint Color Advice

It is entirely up to you. Go with your favorite color that makes you feel relaxed and peaceful. You must have some colors that have that affect on you. Wood is a natural color so you don't have to worry about that. As far as that goes, any color that you have large quantities of is a natural color. You don't have to worry about the beige carpet, because beige is always a natural color. It is entirely up to you if you paint the ceiling the same color as the walls. (05/06/2010)

By redhatterb

Bedroom Paint Color Advice

I love sage and it does well in a large space. I would leave the ceiling white or do a shade 2 colors lighter than the wall so it's a subtle accent, but not the focus of attention. (05/06/2010)

By Allison5

Bedroom Paint Color Advice

If you can't decide on a color get some decorator magazines or go to the library and look them up. Take some little post-it notes with you. Go through them page by page and every time you see a room that catches your eye put a post-it note on it. By the time you have gone through a few magazines go back and check out all the pages you marked. You will find some common denominator which you liked in all and that is a good way to determine what your preferences are.

For tranquility, pastel shades are a pretty safe bet, but stay away from cool colors. You want warm colors (a touch of the sun), no reds, oranges, yellows, and nothing bright. Green was used in hospitals a lot because of its soothing effect, but personally I have never found a green I wanted to live with. If you leave the ceiling white or lighter than the room it will take the eye up and the room will appear higher. If you keep it the same color as the walls or darker it will make the room appear smaller. Good luck. (05/06/2010)

By Needtoknow

Bedroom Paint Color Advice

You could pick out the comforter and drapes first, and then find a paint color that matches them. For instance, if the comforter has a floral design, you could pick a color from the flowers, or from the leaves, or even from the background. If the comforter is a solid color, you could paint your walls a couple of shades lighter than the comforter for a monochromatic feeling, or you could use a color from the opposite side of the color wheel for more contrast.

For a high ceiling, you could pick out a color from the color sample that is two or three shades darker than the color you choose for the walls. This will help bring the ceiling down a little. Good luck! (05/07/2010)

By Patty Lynn

Bedroom Paint Color Advice

I agree on picking out a bed cover, or pillow, or drape/curtain first. It eliminates the need to do excess shopping to get a nice cohesive look to the room. A nice camel tan color would be easy to match with any earth tone, and a shade of terra cotta might look stunning. Some like an accent wall, some don't, but with high ceilings, go clear to the top with your main color and keep the ceiling white. (05/07/2010)

By Dedeswrkshop

May 6, 2010 Flag

I have a cherry wood bedroom set with a beige/gold tone comforter and a sage green carpet. There is a set of 3 windows on one wall and a tray ceiling. What color do I paint my walls and ceiling?

March 30, 2010 Flag

My bedroom suite is mahogany and so are my molding and chair railing. My comforter set and drapes are a mint green with chocolate flower detail.

Bedroom Paint Color Advice
Bedroom Paint Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceSeptember 7, 2010
dining room
Dining Room Paint Color Advice
Nicely decorated living room.
Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
🎉
🎄