Planting Vegetables in Alabama

By beth 1 8

We are moving to Alabama in about 2 weeks. We will have a nice big backyard that I would love to do a little vegetable gardening in. I also would like to plant a couple of fruit trees. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what fruit trees grow good in Alabama. Also which vegetables would be the best to try. Will I be early enough in mid to late June to plant?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Beth from Alabama

Showing: Answers Sort

By Viki 18 59 Flag

I live in zone 8 in Alabama and you could still plant peppers, tomatoes, squash, eggplant and okra in June and July, but if you are planting in an area that has not been prepared consider planting in containers and prepare your garden area for fall by tilling and adding compost and/or composted manure. You will have happy plants and better success. In Sept/Oct you could start planting broccoli, cabbage, collards, brussel sprouts, carrots, beets and possibly lettuce. All these grow well in cool weather but the warmth in fall helps the plants get a quicker start.

Contact the local nurseries to see what fruit trees to plant, peaches and pears come to mind as possibilities.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sherry 1 57 Flag

I'm in north GA zone 7 gardening in the red GA clay. You could probably still have time to plant lots of your favorite summer veggies, maybe start with older or larger plants. Watermelon, cantalope, squash, tomatoes, okra, beans etc. Cooler months I grow broccoli, onions, radish, lettuce, spinach, cabbage. You have a long growing period and can harvest veggies up until late late in the year. For fruit trees, I grow figs, almonds, filbert, pecan, apples, and blueberry bushes here. If you're further south in AL you may be able to grow some citrus too.

Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Have you tried the site http://www.almanac.com/ ? Just type in you zip code an they will show you the dates to plant everything. Has lots of info. A very interesting site.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0063/

Search for your question,good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJune 5, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Tomatoes growing with blossom end rot.
Blossom End Rot on Vegetables
Growing carrots and other vegetables.
Planting Vegetables Together
Planting Tomatoes
Planting Tomatoes
Little girl giving to Salvation Army.
Alabama Christmas Charities
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 4:25:16 PM on 10.0.0.218 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings