Planting Vegetables in Alabama - Categories:

AdviceGardening

Planting Vegetables in Alabama

We are moving to Alabama in about 2 weeks. We will have a nice big backyard that I would love to do a little vegetable gardening in. I also would like to plant a couple of fruit trees. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what fruit trees grow good in Alabama. Also which vegetables would be the best to try. Will I be early enough in mid to late June to plant?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Beth from Alabama

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I live in zone 8 in Alabama and you could still plant peppers, tomatoes, squash, eggplant and okra in June and July, but if you are planting in an area that has not been prepared consider planting in containers and prepare your garden area for fall by tilling and adding compost and/or composted manure. You will have happy plants and better success. In Sept/Oct you could start planting broccoli, cabbage, collards, brussel sprouts, carrots, beets and possibly lettuce. All these grow well in cool weather but the warmth in fall helps the plants get a quicker start.

Contact the local nurseries to see what fruit trees to plant, peaches and pears come to mind as possibilities.

I'm in north GA zone 7 gardening in the red GA clay. You could probably still have time to plant lots of your favorite summer veggies, maybe start with older or larger plants. Watermelon, cantalope, squash, tomatoes, okra, beans etc. Cooler months I grow broccoli, onions, radish, lettuce, spinach, cabbage. You have a long growing period and can harvest veggies up until late late in the year. For fruit trees, I grow figs, almonds, filbert, pecan, apples, and blueberry bushes here. If you're further south in AL you may be able to grow some citrus too.

Good luck!

Have you tried the site http://www.almanac.com/ ? Just type in you zip code an they will show you the dates to plant everything. Has lots of info. A very interesting site.

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0063/

Search for your question,good luck.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJune 5, 2008
Veggie seeds.
Growing Vegetables from Seeds
Tomatoes growing with blossom end rot.
Blossom End Rot on Vegetables
Growing carrots and other vegetables.
Planting Vegetables Together
Little girl giving to Salvation Army.
Alabama Christmas Charities
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 9:09:32 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.